dx10 games, when? =)

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
are there any dx10 game out now or soon to be released?:)

Please post in the proper subforum. - Slartibartfast

To give you an actual answer, no.

There are a few scheduled to come, but I wouldn't call it soon. The most recent thing I've heard of is Flight Sim:X getting a patch or some such thing. Same thing for Company of Heroes...

Halo 2 was originally going to be the first (If I recall...) but recently was announced to be using DX:9 yet still require Vista to run...

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure ;)

Basically not for a while, and even when we do expect only a small fraction of the effects used to actually require DX10, most of the effects will still be using DX9.

The adaption of new DX revisions is slow at the best of times, but DX10 requires Vista which makes it even less appealing to developers who want to reach a large audience.

...even when we do expect only a small fraction of the effects used to actually require DX10, most of the effects will still be using DX9.
DX10 isn't just another layer of functionality laid over DX9. That was the case for all previous incarnations, but not this time. It's been completely rebuilt, so in DX10 mode, nothing is using DX9 (which isn't to say that 90% of the DX9 effects won't just be ported over...).

What I want to know is where are the DX9 Games? Sure the box says DX9 is required, but how many of them actually UTILZE what is available in DX9? I'm not holding my breath for *amazing* DX10 games when developers and publishers have yet to take advantage of DX9, DX8 (haha.. 8 was a joke), DX7....

To *truely* make a DX10 game, there will be no backwards compatibilty. Perod. If your video card doesn't support DX10, you have to upgrade to run the game. We something similar to this with BF2 and the shader model (it was SM right... or am I thinking of somethign else). From talking to a couple of coders, DX10 is different enough that to implement it, they can't have any backwards compatibiltiy in the code -it would almost be like writing the game engine and content twice. That may not be true, but that is how it has been explained to me.

Tough call - cool new games, and I only have a DX9 card (7800GT)... do I pass or upgrade?

DX10 isn't just another layer of functionality laid over DX9. That was the case for all previous incarnations, but not this time. It's been completely rebuilt, so in DX10 mode, nothing is using DX9 (which isn't to say that 90% of the DX9 effects won't just be ported over...).

Yes sorry, LuminaryJanitor is right, let me rephrase.

Most of the effects will be possible in DX9 also, although some may not look better they may run faster and allow better frame rates, for the most part graphichs fidelity is going to remain close to that of DX9 quality even when DX10 is employed, as not all effects will require the extended functionality of DX10.

It will be a good year or so before we start seeing significant effects done in DX10 that cannot be done with DX9, as with 3Dmark05 which was first used to test DX9.0 applications the number of shader units it uses which actually require DX9 was in the low single digits, ~5% It wasnt until 3Dmark06 where we saw significant testing of SM3.0 graphics employing full HDR etc.

what was the point of having dx10 video cards if there are no games that use it? by the time dx10 games come out a btter dx10 card will be out.

what was the point of having dx10 video cards if there are no games that use it? by the time dx10 games come out a btter dx10 card will be out.

Exactly right, thats why I dont have a 8800 card yet, because theres simply no DX10 games and even when we do start to see them trickle out the door they will make minimal use of the additional features that DX9 doesn't have.

because this happens every generation, for the games to come out we need the hardware

this same question gets asked probably 50 times every time a new version is being supported ... man remember when the first 3d accelerators came into play?

Exactly right, thats why I dont have a 8800 card yet, because theres simply no DX10 games and even when we do start to see them trickle out the door they will make minimal use of the additional features that DX9 doesn't have.

thats up to you for buying video cards for their pure support, but it is an insane DX9 card and many people find it usefull

because this happens every generation, for the games to come out we need the hardware

this same question gets asked probably 50 times every time a new version is being supported ... man remember when the first 3d accelerators came into play?

thats up to you for buying video cards for their pure support, but it is an insane DX9 card and many people find it usefull

Well of course its fast at DX9, but so's my 7950GX :)

In all fairness if you need to upgrade anyhow because your video card is very old then it might be worth getting one, but if you have a reasonably performing card now it would be best to wait.

I recently when from a XFX 7950gx2 XXX to a BFG 8800GTX OC and have recieved a very real and measurable increase if performance and image quality.

It's a bit OCD, but I upgrade to the best card available every 12 months. Back then it was the 7950gx2 xxx and now its the 8800gtx OC.

yeah i was before thinking that even with my gts, dx10 capable card, it would run dx10 a little slower than the gtx version. at least i have a powerful dx9 card. i figure i would have to buy a gtx or 8900 or ati r600, to really get in to the dx10 territory.

EVE's DX10 isn't until early 2008.
Company of Heroes *next* patch IS the DX10 patch and is currently in development.
Supreme Commander patch I couldn't find much info about. Last I heard it was mid-March but that has come and gone.

I think that Company of Heroes will be the first thing we will see with DX10 functionality.

FSX DX10 patch is expected around the holidays.

They are releasing SP1 (no DX10 ) soon- beta 2 is in tester's hands now. Maybe by the end of April. Major improvements in threading with the SP. It sounds like they really worked with Intel to get some things threaeded.

I recently when from a XFX 7950gx2 XXX to a BFG 8800GTX OC and have recieved a very real and measurable increase if performance and image quality.

It's a bit OCD, but I upgrade to the best card available every 12 months. Back then it was the 7950gx2 xxx and now its the 8800gtx OC.

I'm waiting for the 8950GX2 equivelent card to hit the shelves, that will be enough of a performance increase to justify spending that much money.

Sure the 8800GTX is faster but for the money you have to spend on one, for me it's not worth it.

Well of course its fast at DX9, but so's my 7950GX :)

In all fairness if you need to upgrade anyhow because your video card is very old then it might be worth getting one, but if you have a reasonably performing card now it would be best to wait.

well yea, thats why I haven't bought one too, but for some they do want the insane increase in speed, and it is alot faster then a GX2

I'm waiting for the 8950GX2 equivelent card to hit the shelves, that will be enough of a performance increase to justify spending that much money.

Sure the 8800GTX is faster but for the money you have to spend on one, for me it's not worth it.

I doubt we'll see one, Nvidia needs to cut on thermals enough to be able to use single slotted HS's, as well as power draw, and the money for one GTX is definetly worth it, seeing as how this thing takes out oblivion and FSX is indeed a worthy purchase

EVE's DX10 isn't until early 2008.
Company of Heroes *next* patch IS the DX10 patch and is currently in development.
Supreme Commander patch I couldn't find much info about. Last I heard it was mid-March but that has come and gone.

I think that Company of Heroes will be the first thing we will see with DX10 functionality.

I wish they would say more aobut the DX10 patch for SupCom, I really want to see teaser shots :(

are there any dx10 game out now or soon to be released?:)

Please post in the proper subforum. - Slartibartfast

Let me guess - you paid top dollar for a dx10 video card and now you find that there are no games to take advantage of dx10 and when games finally do come out that will take advantage of dx10, such as crisis, you're going to need a whole new computer - think at least $1,000. lol:(

The only one I can think of that's currently on the market is MS Vista... not bad but feels unfinished, it's like EA had dipped their fingers in it during development.

The only one I can think of that's currently on the market is MS Vista... not bad but feels unfinished, it's like EA had dipped their fingers in it during development.

Vista is by far the best OS microsoft has made to date... works completely flawless... but you always hear of problems... almost always caused by the hardware manufacturers inability to write drivers.. or learn the way vista works.

I purchased an 8800GTS because it is simply the fastest card you can get at the moment, and the best deal.

Vista is by far the best OS microsoft has made to date... works completely flawless... but you always hear of problems... almost always caused by the hardware manufacturers inability to write drivers.. or learn the way vista works.

I purchased an 8800GTS because it is simply the fastest card you can get at the moment, and the best deal.

While I agree that Vista is the best Windows to date, your 8800gtS isn't the fastest card out. And the "best deal" is subjective to the value someone places on the increase in performance. I bought a 8800gxt OC because it was performing the best on the market at the time and the OC2s werent available yet.

While I agree that Vista is the best Windows to date, your 8800gtS isn't the fastest card out. And the "best deal" is subjective to the value someone places on the increase in performance. I bought a 8800gxt OC because it was performing the best on the market at the time and the OC2s werent available yet.

my mistake, was was suppose to be 8800's...and as far as best deal that's my opinion.... i wasn't stating fact of course.

that is why you wait to upgrade...let all the other idiots pay 450 for a 2900xt and then when the new cards come out next year, you can buy the 2900xt for 200....

Just announced today: Lost Planet will be coming to the PC and will support DX10. It'll be out in June 2007.

Sadly, I hope you're joking. That's from Capcom. Think back to their last two A+ console games that were butchered on the PC. I hope this *isn't* true.

Back