DX10 for Deus Ex/Unreal/UT GOTY/Rune

There are screen shots all over the site. High res ones too. And if you think it doesn't make it look better then you need to put down the pipe.

WOW

I remember Rune...I loved the demo and then my video card died before I bought it. When I got around to picking up a new one, I had forgotten about it until just now.

Was that game any good? Is it even available anywhere? /mindblown

It really doesn't "improve" the graphics much, aside from some AA and AF. These are mostly just made to keep these old games compatible with new hardware.

That's not what the DX10/DX9 renderer is for. It is not for compatibility reasons at all.

It is to improve the lighting and enhance texture filtering with newer techniques than what they had 10 years ago. For Deus Ex, couple it with HDTP, and New Vision texture pack the game is significantly improved graphically.

That's not what the DX10/DX9 renderer is for. It is not for compatibility reasons at all.

It is to improve the lighting and enhance texture filtering with newer techniques than what they had 10 years ago. For Deus Ex, couple it with HDTP, and New Vision texture pack the game is significantly improved graphically.

From the DX10 renderer homepage:
This Direct3D 10 renderer for Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex and Rune aims to provide a good, consistent looking and future proof renderer for these games. The focus is not on fancy effects; the idea is to have something that will allow these games to perform well and look good on modern systems, something which I can support and bugfix.

That is how I interpret, anyway. Maybe "comparability" was a poor choice of words in my first post. The renderer makes it generally more useful on newer hardware.

Here is a comparison shot:

DX10 renderer.

Original D3D renderer.

Besides the fact the DX10 can run at my native 2560x1600 with the proper aspect ratio, you'll notice a lot less banding in the skybox, sharper textures with better contrast and improved lighting also with better contrast. Frames are smooth as silk and even without any further modding the game never looked better in my opinion... and I do a play through once a year. :D

WOW

I remember Rune...I loved the demo and then my video card died before I bought it. When I got around to picking up a new one, I had forgotten about it until just now.

Yea, Ioved rune back in the day. But I have a thing for fantasy style melee. I remember playing the shit out of that game.

WOW

I have the full version of Rune. I think I got it with my graphics card ages ago? Never bothered to play through it, although I did install it not that long ago just to try it again!

I got version 18 working. I was missing the newest DX10 updates. HDR lighting adds an even more significant improvement.
Be sure to set LOD to -10.

Anyone have issues getting version 18 to work with Deus Ex? I don't get the option to enable D3D10 in the renderer select screen...that's after extracting files properly (including the ones that aren't supposed to be left in the folder they were zipped in) and foricng hte game to restart by selecting a renderer...

Edit: NVM, got it going.

Last edited:
I can't seem to get it to work with UT /sigh

Can't chose it from the render list, says it failed to load.

WOW

Rune was awesome. It was a lot of fun to cut a friend's arm off and then beat them with it.

I wish something like this could be done for the Dark engine. I'd love to see some of those features in Thief.

Damn, I have UT GOTY on my Steam list, I guess i better reinstall it, good times!!!

how do you activate that graphics feature? And I agree with Bankie, I'd love to see Thief 3 look a lot better, it would definitely add to the atmosphere and immersion.

Thief 3 was a great game in it's day, still is if you play it.

Damn, I have UT GOTY on my Steam list, I guess i better reinstall it, good times!!!

how do you activate that graphics feature? And I agree with Bankie, I'd love to see Thief 3 look a lot better, it would definitely add to the atmosphere and immersion.

The page you download it from tells you the instructions for enabling it. Basically you select D3D10 from the renderlist when the game first starts and then you go to the "Preferences" screen, either from the main menu or a prompt, and select the features you want to turn on or off. You can also edit the game's config file.

oh ok, thanks, I'm at work and didn't notice the first post had a link, haha

i was scrolling down to see the screenshots, which do look rather good.

I'd love to play UT GOTY with those settings.

Are you sure you're talking about Thief 3? Do you mean Thief 1 and 2?

Anyone know of a good high poly pack?
I have been playing this game for the last 2 hours or so. Just running around shooting the heads off bots and such. It's almost there. It just needs some decent character models now.
I used to have tons of models that looked great. Now everything I can find is ugghh. Why do I feel like I will be forced to install the Dev Tools for this game yet again....:p

Anyone know of a good high poly pack?
I have been playing this game for the last 2 hours or so. Just running around shooting the heads off bots and such. It's almost there. It just needs some decent character models now.
I used to have tons of models that looked great. Now everything I can find is ugghh. Why do I feel like I will be forced to install the Dev Tools for this game yet again....:p

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

@450. That is awesome. I was talking about UT99 though. I have found tons of terrible skins, but no high poly models. Everything is so square! He has ported his DX10 stuff to DX11 as well. The writeup states that it has the exact same features as The DX10 version right now. So there is not much of a reason to use it. Hmm, maybe we can get some form of tessellation working.

@450. That is awesome. I was talking about UT99 though. I have found tons of terrible skins, but no high poly models. Everything is so square! He has ported his DX10 stuff to DX11 as well. The writeup states that it has the exact same features as The DX10 version right now. So there is not much of a reason to use it. Hmm, maybe we can get some form of tessellation working.

Enabling tessellation would require a great deal of work to the actual game engine. The game needs to be built with it in mind, you can't just add it on with some hack. It's technically possible, but I don't see anyone doing it as the original UT engine is still closed source and Epic won't waste the time.

ATI cards still do hardware tessellation yes? I know that the advanced GL render for UT used to work with truform. I'm pretty sure truform is dead.

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Downloads/Textures/Textures.htm

Sorry about that! Did you check this out yet?

I couldn't find any high poly model for UT or UT99 unfortunately. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Back