DVR HDD?

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
6,996
Anyone ever tried formatting one? I pulled a Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green WD10EADS out of a DVR and its locked down. It is showing 31mb out of 1TB is available. No luck in disk management. Think a Linux boot CD would work?
 
They are usually manufacture software locked for secure content.

I dont know if linux can access it or noth.
 
Are you trying to destroy the data on the disk to reuse it for a different purpose? There is a chance linux will help you with that. If you want access to the data I expect it is unlikely because of DRM.
 
I would boot off of a linux live usb stick and use fdisk to repartition the disk. I expect that the pvr was running linux. Although the firmware could have been modified to prevent you from accessing the disk.
 
Back
Top