DVI?

Astra

Limp Gawd
I wonder what is DVI?
I mean I know there are 2 connectors on the back of LCD. One is VGA another DVI. Today I received a new video card (x850 agp), it also has 2 connectors.

Is there any difference between using old VGA cable or new DVI?
What should I know about DVI connection? I always thought it is just a spare connection, for another monitor or for example if LCD doesn't have VGA connector, then one would use DVI on video card and LCD.

Why would I need DVI? Is it better?
I am asking this because I have read that some ppl had problems with DVI, but I don't understand why people would use DVI at the first place.

Thank you in advance.

Oh dear. If this post is for real, let me simplify.

DVI = digital.
Standard VGA connector = analog.

Use DVI whenever possible for somewhat better image quality :)

It may be worth noting though a DVI cable can also carry analog data so it is possibly to get a VGA to DVI adaptor. To be honest I think most people who had problems with DVI was to do with like colour banding on some screens that used dodgy DVI chips in them.

just a quiick question, how do I know if I need High-Quality 24AWG DVI-D Cables or 28AWG cables for my set-up.

rocky928 said:
Oh dear. If this post is for real, let me simplify.

Digital Video Interface = digital signals.
Standard Video Graphics Array connector = analog signals.

Use DVI whenever possible for somewhat better image quality :)

Fixed. ;) DVI vs Analog image quality can be debateable. It's all in the eye of the viewer. Some see no difference, others think it's night and day. Personally, I think DVI makes text easier to read on an LCD and image quality is somewhat improved. But that's just me.

ThatOldDude said:
Fixed. ;) DVI vs Analog image quality can be debateable. It's all in the eye of the viewer. Some see no difference, others think it's night and day. Personally, I think DVI makes text easier to read on an LCD and image quality is somewhat improved. But that's just me.

Some peopel see no difference because they're blind. On my 2405FPW, the VGA signal would cause noticible shadowing around text, and total kill what little color saturation the LCD had to begin with.

eternaljammer said:
just a quiick question, how do I know if I need High-Quality 24AWG DVI-D Cables or 28AWG cables for my set-up.
Just get the cheaper ones. Digital is digital. Whatever you do, please don't buy monster cables, go to www.monoprice.com and buy whatever length cable you need.

Yeah the question was real :)
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am now running on VGA because I still got my old video inside, however I am going to install a new video then I will try DVI.

Astra said:
I wonder what is DVI?
I mean I know there are 2 connectors on the back of LCD. One is VGA another DVI. Today I received a new video card (x850 agp), it also has 2 connectors.

Is there any difference between using old VGA cable or new DVI?
What should I know about DVI connection? I always thought it is just a spare connection, for another monitor or for example if LCD doesn't have VGA connector, then one would use DVI on video card and LCD.

Why would I need DVI? Is it better?
I am asking this because I have read that some ppl had problems with DVI, but I don't understand why people would use DVI at the first place.

Thank you in advance.

If you have a CRT with only a VGA connection, use the VGA output. It looks so much nicer through the X850xt. I tried a DVI to VGA plug and text was noisy and hard to read. With an LCD I would imagine the DVI output from the ATI would be better though I haven't tested it.

I have a new LCD, just plugged in DVI to DVI...I don't see any difference. However, since ppl say it is either exactly the same or better, than I will leave DVI.

isnt there something to do with LCDs running on analog about it having to convert or soemthing and some latency or something playing a role, as where the DVI doesnt have to convert. something along those lines.

someone will step in and clear up.

Back