DVI vs. Widescreen

aRcT

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

So it's that time again and I'm gonna be building a new compy in the near future. I'm passing my venerable Samsung 712N LCD on to my younger bro, so I'm gonna be getting a new monitor. I'm keeping the cost of this rig around a thousand bucks, and the monitor is gonna be about 250 of that.

So, my question is: Should I pay a little extra for a regular dimension monitor and get one with DVI, or get a widescreen, of which there seem to be a few quality models at Newegg.

-Brent

Why not get a widescreen monitor with DVI inputs? :confused:

It really depends on what your going to be using the computer / monitor for, what size you plan on getting, and what you can afford. If you go widescreen, I wouldn't get anything below 1680x1050 and 20".

Since that's going to cost a lot, a 19" or 20" at 1280x1024 with DVI might be better off.

Well,

While staying within budget, I found a Sceptre 19" widescreen on Newegg with DVI...

No reviews of that one, but Sceptre seems to get good reviews overall...

The Viewsonic 19" VA1912wb Widescreen is a really good monitor.
you also need to consider the resolution, sure a 20" widescreen is great, but if you want to play Quake4 at native resolution you will need a really good video card to power it. if you get something like the 19" Viewsonic widescreen w/ a res of 1440x900 (?) will be alot easier to power it.
I recently got a Viewsonic VX922, its out of your budget but I got it cause the resolution 1280x1024 is managable on mid range cards with the newer games.

Back