DVI Vs VGA

Priest +

n00b
(I tied running a search it told me there were too many) Talk to me (I probably labled them wrong so sorry in advance) But I'm planning on switching from my 19" CRT to a 17" or 19" LCD. But I am wondering what connection I should use I've heard from one person that DVI is so much better, but is it really worth it I play demanding games and watch movies and all the usual stuff. That people that love games do. So is it worth it to get the DVI or should I go with the old time honored tradition of using the regular VGA hook-up.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=874435

It's up to you and what kind of monitor you get. Some seem to have lousy VGA implimentation while others (like mine) look identical.

Some really nice Samsungs ONLY have VGA and look and perform amazingly well.

Don't let anyone give you any BS about DVI always being better just because it's not always true and in some cases analog has greater benefits.

Priest + said:
(I tied running a search it told me there were too many) Talk to me (I probably labled them wrong so sorry in advance) But I'm planning on switching from my 19" CRT to a 17" or 19" LCD. But I am wondering what connection I should use I've heard from one person that DVI is so much better, but is it really worth it I play demanding games and watch movies and all the usual stuff. That people that love games do. So is it worth it to get the DVI or should I go with the old time honored tradition of using the regular VGA hook-up.
The difference is inimal .... marginal to say the most

i think it depends on the lcd maker, i have a benq vga input and image quality is just as good as my sony dvi.

caracaovazio said:
i think it depends on the lcd maker, i have a benq vga input and image quality is just as good as my sony dvi.
these lcd makers all have a bunch of standards to comply with so they wouldn't be too far off from each other. In a way tho, the gfx cards could make a difference....

ImLazZzy said:
these lcd makers all have a bunch of standards to comply with so they wouldn't be too far off from each other. In a way tho, the gfx cards could make a difference....

Albatron 6800 GT DVI, VGA and S-Video port.

Again...it depends on the MONITOR!
Go to the local CompUSA and ask to try out some analog connections and DVI connections with the same monitor. On the display models, they'll let you do it. Compare them yourself.
Sometimes you're going to see a difference, other times not. In some games you'll see more ghosting in DVI, so don't act like it's automatically better when it isn't always.

Another safe bet is to post here about a specific monitor you're looking at and see what people think of both settings with it. You likely won't get to demo games at the store, so the word of posters here might be as good as you'll get. Checking other hardware sites is also a safe bet.

In terms of video card, DVI on some GeForce 6800 GT's will act funny with some driver sets. That can also affect performance. I think it was the 71.xx drivers that had the issue, but I don't recall offhand. It had to do with DVD's and fast motion.

In all reality, if you have a GT and get a monitor with both analog and DVI slots...hook them both up and set everything up to "clone." You can then swap back and forth with the touch of a single button on most monitors. Then you'll get to compare this world of difference (or lack thereof) on your own. I found that visually they're essentially identical, with ghosting varying from game to game.

so basically just purchase the 17" Viewsonic display that I have been looking at that has both DVI and VGA connectors and just use whatever looks better. thx.

Yup. Plug them both in at the same time, set your nvidia display to "clone" and you should be able to change the settings on the fly with the press of a button. That way if one game looks better on DVI or analog...just use that setting.

Back