DVI vs. HDMI

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
What's the benefit of HDMI over DVI on a computer LCD when the speakers from the LCD screen is not that great to have audio pass through the HDMI cable.

If there is not that much benefit in terms of sound, why are more monitors leaning toward HDMI port?

1) No benefit
2) Because it's promoted by some companies in order to make more money ("You surely want to pay another $50 for the model that has HDMI, don't you?") and because that's accepted by the general dumb public.

+) HDMI has a inferior connector and royalties have to be payed by the manufacturer for every HDMI device. HDMI is especially a problem when you Pivot your monitor: 'Flops, cable dropped out of the monitor'

HDMI is only a DVI signal + audio signal in with a inferior connector. Since you (who does?) don't need audio to get trough the displaycable there is no need at all for HDMI on your computer display. There are more reasons to not get HDMI.

For your system HDMI audio is pointless.
HDMI audio is only beneficial if you must use your TV/Monitors sound or you are feeding into a High Definition sound Amplifier to listen to Hi Def Audio.

I can tell you one unfortunate benefit of HDMI for me...

My AV Amp (Onkyo 875) will not allow my PC to connect to it using a DVI to HDMI cable. It gives a very low colour screen with lines all over it.
After researching, it appears others have the same problem and the fix is to use a graphics card with HDMI output.
Now I know that doesnt make much sense but as it is the only fix for me.

For your system HDMI audio is pointless.
HDMI audio is only beneficial if you must use your TV/Monitors sound or you are feeding into a High Definition sound Amplifier to listen to Hi Def Audio.

I can tell you one unfortunate benefit of HDMI for me...

My AV Amp (Onkyo 875) will not allow my PC to connect to it using a DVI to HDMI cable. It gives a very low colour screen with lines all over it.
After researching, it appears others have the same problem and the fix is to use a graphics card with HDMI output.
Now I know that doesnt make much sense but as it is the only fix for me.

If I plan to use the ATI 3850 graphic card that has the adapter for DVI-HDMI will I get the same problem if I connect the graphic card with the adapter to my Yamaha receiver that has HDMI input?

I hope not.

You cannot get High Def sound on Blu Ray without HDMI.

This is not true. There are plenty of players that will decode DTS-MA/TrueHD and output LPCM via 7.1 RCA cables to a receiver.

If you want to bitstream hi def audio codec's to a receiver, then HDMI is the only way to go You can get LPCM over HDMI as well.

If I plan to use the ATI 3850 graphic card that has the adapter for DVI-HDMI will I get the same problem if I connect the graphic card with the adapter to my Yamaha receiver that has HDMI input?

I hope not.

I honestly have no idea if you will have a problem, I thought it prudent to explain my issue so you can research if your setup will have any problems.

This is not true. There are plenty of players that will decode DTS-MA/TrueHD and output LPCM via 7.1 RCA cables to a receiver.

If you want to bitstream hi def audio codec's to a receiver, then HDMI is the only way to go You can get LPCM over HDMI as well.

I am intrigued how you can make a 7.1 LPCM connection using RCA as there is only ever a single digital RCA socket which does not have high enough bandwidth to carry 7.1 or high def sound.
Any chance you can link to some proof pls?

I am intrigued how you can make a 7.1 LPCM connection using RCA as there is only ever a single digital RCA socket which does not have high enough bandwidth to carry 7.1 or high def sound.
Any chance you can link to some proof pls?

I think he means individual RCA connects to the discrete inputs on the receiver. My Onkyo has 7.1 discrete inputs on the back which have RCA connectors.

+1

My Pioneer Elite is the same way.

Sorry...if I wasn't clear enough. This is exactly what I mean.

The new Panasonic BD50/55 will decode and send them to your pre-amp/receiver as LPCM. I'm sure other players do the same as well...since most people would not have HDMI bistream capabilities. I happen to have an Integra 9.8 to do all my decoding on board...so I can take it either way.

BTW, I received SACD via RCA from my Marantz 8400 to my Lexicon MC-8 years ago...and that was a whopping 88.2khz sample rate.

Sorry...if I wasn't clear enough. This is exactly what I mean.

The new Panasonic BD50/55 will decode and send them to your pre-amp/receiver as LPCM. I'm sure other players do the same as well...since most people would not have HDMI bistream capabilities. I happen to have an Integra 9.8 to do all my decoding on board...so I can take it either way.

BTW, I received SACD via RCA from my Marantz 8400 to my Lexicon MC-8 years ago...and that was a whopping 88.2khz sample rate.

SACD is low enough bandwidth to fit a stereo signal into a single digital/optical link.

I havent seen any amplifier in or audio outs from a device that can receive / transmit multichannel digital audio unless it fits down a single digital/optical connection (not hi def) or HDMI (can be high def).
The multi channel RCA connections are analogue and cannot receive a PCM (digital) signal of any form.

Are you sure you arent listening to the players analogue out?
I looked up your player and it seems there are not any multi channel digital audio outputs aside from HDMI.
Panasonic BD50
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/997303/index.html?trackInfo=true
Multi Channnel Independent Output yes
2ch Audio Out yes
Digital Audio Out yes(1 optical, 1 coaxial)
No mention of any extra multi channel digital connections so it "cannot" send LPCM via the multichannel RCA connectors.
You must be using analogue.

7.1 over analog if fine you just have to use a huge run of cables instead of one. There are disadvantages to using RCA's though, such as interfearance, and degredation over long runs. However I doubt my ears are keen enough to pick it up as long as decent shielded / twisted cables are used, or the run is kept very short. All speakers are analog anyways its just a matter of what device you want to decode the audio.

It would be better to use RCA's for example if your DVD player has a better DAC (or series of DACs) than your reciever. Most of the time this is not the case though. So using a HDMI cable to send the digital (lossless) audio to a device with a prefered DAC, then having that device (usualy a reciever with amp) output the sound directly to the speakers, is prefered. Its more direct so there is less chance of getting signal degradation, and longer runs of cable can be used.

Then again, few TVs and (especially) monitors have speakers that can deliver anything near hi-def surround sound :p
So any real use of the sound in an HDMI cable would be if you have an HDMI switch in the receiver, which isn't that common.

Also, does the Xbox360 and PS3 really require HDCP?
Whats up with that?
(OK if it's only for blu-ray/hd-dvd, but for playing? If so thats just pathetic.)

It's around time every consumer starts boycotting HDCP. :mad:

Pretty much impossible.
Just about every HDMI device is HDCP compliant and you dont get to watch Blu Ray films without it unless you pirate.

Yep, and if we all start buying those few devices that are NOT HDCP compliant :cool:

If they find out that next to nobody buys HDCP devices they will sooner end the insanity called HDCP.

you dont get to watch Blu Ray films without it unless you pirate.

are you sure about that? For all hardware players I'm pretty sure that's correct, but for those of us that use an htpc with br drive I think you could get by using that AnyDVD software. Supposedly it supports HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, but I dunno if it removes the protection of HDCP. I don't even have a blu-ray drive yet...still watching them fall in price until it looks worth it to me ;)

are you sure about that? For all hardware players I'm pretty sure that's correct, but for those of us that use an htpc with br drive I think you could get by using that AnyDVD software. Supposedly it supports HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, but I dunno if it removes the protection of HDCP. I don't even have a blu-ray drive yet...still watching them fall in price until it looks worth it to me ;)

Yes you are correct, I forgot about AnyDVD.
I am surprised they have got away with doing it for so long as the whole point of HDCP is to protect Movies.
This means you can get away without using an HDCP compliant graphics card.
Sadly, many modern High Def TVs (720p upwards) that are HDCP compliant wont allow a PC to connect at full res unless the HDCP chain is complete so a non compliant graphics card may not work anyway.

No hardware player can get away with it unless there is a hack.

DVI-D to HDMI cable. And degradation or difference in image quality vs. DVI-D to DVI-D on a monitor (looking at an HP w2207 - HDMI only)?

Back