DVI vs. HDMI input

somecallmeTim

[H]F Junkie
Looking at upgrading my current monitor set up to something larger. These 45 yo eyes like things bigger. I've found a number of 27" to 28" monitors that are in my price range that have the 1920 x 1200 resolution I'm looking for. Some have VGA and HDMI, but no DVI input.

I've always used DVI input on my panels since I first got an LCD monitor years ago as I think the VGA input pretty much sucks. I've not driven a monitor with HDMI before - my HTPC drives my 32" TV via HDMI and it's fine for what it is. My question is, is there a draw back to driving a monitor via HDMI vs. DVI?

I have a GTX 260 as my video card, and do some gaming. No wanting to go SLI, just don't need it. Currenlty running a pair of 20" 1680 x 1050 panels and have no performance issues. I may go duals again, or go with the larger single. Not sure yet. Depends on how much I want to spend.

No, I'm not going to upgrade the video card - can't justify the expense for minor gains for the money. Just looking for a bigger monitor and have concerns over driving it over HDMI vs. DVI. Any drawbacks?

Thanks in advance.

HDMI is DVI + audio. Same thing unless you need to run resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

Back