DVI vs Analog question

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a Dell UltraSharp 2407W monitor and it is sweet. I was in BestBuy this weekend and saw a 28" monitor by HannsG. I started to purchase the monitor and give my wife my Dell monitor. But as I looked closer at the Hanns monitor I realized it's only outputs were VGA (analog) or HDMI. My current video card is a BFG 7800 GTX OC and it has DVI outputs.

So, with all that said, is there a big difference between analog and DVI output? I do not believe there are many (if any) current HDMI cards out. Anyway, I am not looking to upgrade my card right now anyways.

The HannsG has an 800:1 contrast ratio (I think that is about what my Dell is, it's about 2 years old).

What really bothers me is going from a DVI output to an analog output...makes me feel like I am backing up.

There is practically 0 difference in Image Quality between the two connections.

There is practically 0 difference in Image Quality between the two connections.

Between which two? There is a difference between DVI and VGA. DVI to HDMI is fine. DVI is digital, VGA in analog. HDMI is digital. If you stay all digital it will look better. Going from DVI to VGA will not look as sharp.

Between which two? There is a difference between DVI and VGA. DVI to HDMI is fine. DVI is digital, VGA in analog. HDMI is digital. If you stay all digital it will look better. Going from DVI to VGA will not look as sharp.

What I am comparing is switching from my Dell 2407W UltraSharp monitor to the HannsG 28" monitor, which the only outputs on it are either VGA or HDMI. I do not have an HDMI video card.

So, I am wondering if I am going to loose any quality going from the Dell to the HannsG. Would using the HannsG's HDMI with a converter to DVI be about the same quality as coming straight off of a monitor with a DVI plug?

Would using the HannsG's HDMI with a converter to DVI be about the same quality as coming straight off of a monitor with a DVI plug?
Yes, it'll be the same.

If this is the monitor in question, the included accessories list an HDMI to DVI cable. The manual lists those cables as optional (page 8), so be sure Best Buy includes them. Kinda funny that there's no HDMI-HDMI cable included.

It's pretty neat that the monitor will take Component over its D-Sub input (page 10).

As for quality, well, the pixels will be larger since the number of pixels is the same but the display is larger. You may or may not notice, depending on how close you are to the display.

What I am comparing is switching from my Dell 2407W UltraSharp monitor to the HannsG 28" monitor, which the only outputs on it are either VGA or HDMI. I do not have an HDMI video card.

So, I am wondering if I am going to loose any quality going from the Dell to the HannsG. Would using the HannsG's HDMI with a converter to DVI be about the same quality as coming straight off of a monitor with a DVI plug?
HDMI and DVI are two ways to send the same signal to the monitor. The differences are that HDMI can transmit sound and that the contact is smaller.

I think you should buy the cable, you won't loose any quality compared to using dvi-dvi. Usually vga works fine as well, but the longer cable the crappier signal. You won't get that problem using a digital interface.

Thanks! One reason for the question on the cables, I purchased an openbox one from Newegg for $469.00, which openbox does not include accessories. So, I purchased an HDMI to DVI cable along with it for $9.00. :D

Thanks! One reason for the question on the cables, I purchased an openbox one from Newegg for $469.00, which openbox does not include accessories. So, I purchased an HDMI to DVI cable along with it for $9.00. :D

Perfect. Going DVI-HDMI is just as good as DVI-DVI since it is all digital. Going DVI-VGA will loose a bit since you are going from digital, to analog, to a digital monitor.

Back