dvi to hdmi

Sagan

Gawd
I've only had luck so far finding dvi to hdmi cables that output to from a hdmi video source to a computer monitor using dvi.

I'm looking for a cable that plugs from my nvidia 8800 ultra's dvi to hdmi to output my computer's signal on an hdtv, so I can use my computer on the bigger screen. Hopefully a dirt cheap cable from amazon.

Some kind guidance would be very apreciative :)

A DVI->HDMI is the exact same thing as an HDMI->DVI. Its a male-male cable, and sends signals both ways. I use one of these between my GTX285 and 32" tv when I hook it up.

Thank you, that will work perfectly.

Is there a such thing as plug VGA to HDMI too?

Is there a such thing as plug VGA to HDMI too?

I'm sure there is, but it won't be cheap. DVI<->HDMI converters are so cheap and plentiful because the data is exactly the same between the two. Its like a regular to mini USB adapter - the signal doesn't change, just the connector. VGA is a completely different signal, thus it would need to be converted from analog to digital.

I'm sure there is, but it won't be cheap. DVI<->HDMI converters are so cheap and plentiful because the data is exactly the same between the two. Its like a regular to mini USB adapter - the signal doesn't change, just the connector. VGA is a completely different signal, thus it would need to be converted from analog to digital.

:eek: Thanks!!!

I suppose that, whatever adapter you use, the signal you'd get on the HDMI-port would suck even compared to the bare VGA, wouldn't it?

$EDIT$: My shop doesn't have that kind of thing and they've got practically everything that is even just a little related to computer hardware (including ridiculous stuff like USB rocket launchers and robots as well as underwear for a geek's girlfriend :D)...

Last edited:
Any time you need a cable you should always think Monoprice. They sell quality stuff and everything is dirt cheap including shipping.

DVI <-> HDMI cables starting at $3!
http://www.monoprice.com/products/s...ord=Video+Cable+-+<b>HDMI/DVI</b>&keyword=dvi

I use a bunch of these to go from the DVI outs on my videocards into a HDMI multiswitch and then back out to DVI displays. All cables are DVI <-> HDMI and they're connected both ways.

On the topic of cheap VGA to HDMI converters you might be able to find one cheap. Here's a $20 adapter that goes from displayport to VGA. It is not a passive adapter! It actually has a DAC inside. Supports 1920x1200 too!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=5135&seq=1&format=2

If you ever track down a VGA to HDMI let me know. I need one too.

I got a Monster Ultra 600 DVI-HDMI cable for $10 shipped from amazon. The wanted like 120 bux for one at the nearest bestbuy. If ya already have a DVI cable or HDMI cable get yourself an adapter for a bit cheaper

I suppose that, whatever adapter you use, the signal you'd get on the HDMI-port would suck even compared to the bare VGA, wouldn't it?

Most likely. You are going digital -> analog -> digital in that case. You will end up adding another lossy conversion onto the process. You also have to consider the quality of the DAC in the converter as well.

Back