DVI phased out?

Siamese Almeida

Weaksauce
I've been meaning to get the xl2411z as it seems like the best as well as cheapest 1080p 144hz solution. However, it lacks for a DP port and it seems DVI inputs are being phased out in the near future.

I'm worried that I'll have to resort to adapters in the future and that they may cause additional input lag.

What are your thoughts on this?

DVI is going away. And about time, DVI as a standard has not been touched/updated in nearly 10 years.

DP, HDMI are the immediate future for majority PC hardware....and USB-C a bit further down the road maybe. Intel, and basically everyone else TBH, agreed years back to phase out VGA and DVI in favor of DP and HDMI on consumer hardware.

No concern (except if you have an old device that requires analog DVI, which is rare these days especially for gaming setups).

DVI, HDMI, and DP are all directly compatible (you just need to pay attention to the version of DP or HDMI your GPU and Display require, and that you have a high enough quality cable to support the latest standards like HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2, etc). All you need is a cable with the proper ends (HDMI, HDMI-to-DVI, DVI-to-DP, etc), or a passive adapter.

None of them will add input lag because they're passive adapters, there is no conversion going on or anything.

Yes, DVI is slowly being phased out, but Digital Dual-Link DVI still works and can still be passively adapted to HDMI or DP when needed, and vice-versa.

No concern (except if you have an old device that requires analog DVI, which is rare these days especially for gaming setups).

DVI, HDMI, and DP are all directly compatible (you just need to pay attention to the version of DP or HDMI your GPU and Display require, and that you have a high enough quality cable to support the latest standards like HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2, etc). All you need is a cable with the proper ends (HDMI, HDMI-to-DVI, DVI-to-DP, etc), or a passive adapter.

None of them will add input lag because they're passive adapters, there is no conversion going on or anything.

Yes, DVI is slowly being phased out, but Digital Dual-Link DVI still works and can still be passively adapted to HDMI or DP when needed, and vice-versa.

I've heard that you need an active adapter if you want to pump out 144hz. Couldn't tell you why, I haven't come across an explanation.

I've heard that you need an active adapter if you want to pump out 144hz. Couldn't tell you why, I haven't come across an explanation.
Both HDMI and DP don't electrically support dual-link DVI passively (not enough pins supplying enough power). If you need dual-link bandwidth then you need an active adapter. Single-link DVI can only go up to about 75 Hz at 1920x1080, so you need dual-link to go up to 144 Hz.

Both HDMI and DP don't electrically support dual-link DVI passively (not enough pins supplying enough power). If you need dual-link bandwidth then you need an active adapter. Single-link DVI can only go up to about 75 Hz at 1920x1080, so you need dual-link to go up to 144 Hz.

Right, HDMI 1.0 video channel was just Single-Link DVI signaling in a new connector, with HDCP added. This is why you can convert between HDMI and DVI with a passive cable for anything 1080p/75 and below, because they use the same number of links and same signaling speed.

* When resolutions increased with HDMI, they kept the same number of data paths, and just increased the transmission speed by several times.

HDMI 1.1 pixel clock = 165 MHz
HDMI 1.3 pixel clock = 340 MHz
HDMI 2.0 pixel clock = 600 MHz

* When resolutions increased for DVI, they just doubled the number of links and didn't change the transmission speed. Dual-link DVI uses the same 165 MHz transmission clock as single-link does.

Thus, the two standards are no-longer passively compatible, and have to be converted. There are no working HDMI to Dual-Link DVI adapters, and the DP ones start at $80.

Last edited:
Back