DVI or don't bother?

sdk

[H]ard|Gawd
WIth my new rig comming in I found the Samsung Syncmaster 920N 19' which looked like a good monitor. I did my reviews and it seems to be good, but somehow I overlooked the fact that its analog.... doh! So.... when it comes I am wondering if I am really going to be at that much of a disadvantage with analog vs a DVI. I have a nice computer comming with a X800 GTO2 and I don't want it held back by a analog monitor. Since this will be for gameing I want the best that I can get. I was looking at and thinking of sending it back and exchanging it for a Samsung 940B-HAS 19' which comes with a DVI and a height adjustable stand. Now I am wondering, will I be okay with the analog or should I bite my tounge and send it back in and pay the extra 75 and wait another week and a bit for the 940HAS or another monitor. Also, I really don't want to have to wait to send my moniter back in cuz I want to play games now, but I am having some second thoughts and I don't want to regret it later on down the road.

Just looking for some opinions on what I should do.
I am comming from a 19' CRT so I know any LCD will make my happy, but I want the best.

Also, anyone have any opininons on the 920N or the 940B-HAS?

Diff people - diff opinions on this one

Higher reoslutions - DVI shines

Many say going from VGA to DVI on an LCD improved ghosting issues, text is clearer and things are more crisp. - i was one of those people - had the dell 20.1" and tried it on VGA and DVI and it was a night and day difference.

personally i say go find an LCD with DVI.

I have a CRT and a LCD. I definetly prefer the LCD connected via DVI. The picture looks very crip and clear but when you use analog to a LCD it looks terrible and sometimes the picture isn't centered and stuff.

LCD = DVI
CRT = Analog

At least that is my rule of thumb.

DVI is by far the best choice for LCD's. DVI is a digital connection so it is a "flawless" signal to the monitor...also, because it's sent as digital data the picture is always the perfect size and focus with no need to ever adjust geometry or anything.

VGA is fine for CRT's because CRT's are analog anyway, but if you run VGA on an LCD you're essentially converting a digital signal in the computer to an analog signal across the cable back into a digital signal in the monitor again, while going with DVI just sends it digitally the entire way.

just go to an electronics store and look at the monitors, check if they are connected with vga(blue plugs are a giveaway) and see if you can handle it. I've seen many vga lcds in stores and couldn't notice any blurring when they ran at native res.

Just in case the previous posters didn't make it abundantly clear... go with DVI. ;)

Im actually gonna disagree a bit. Cant speak for a 19", but since its the same res as the 17" Im using now, I would say analog is fine. Basically I have a 2005fpw, and I use DVI for it, but this 17" is basically just as sharp and crisp IMO via analog as my 2005fpw.

BTW its a LG L1550SQ. Specs are all against it (6bit, Analog) but I find it to be great.

Then again my bro got a Benq with analog and its a bit blurry, so I think it really depends on the monitor. Overall I would see if you can see it in person and compare it to LCDs with DVI, and considering its a Samsung and they probably have pretty good VGA controllers, I doubt you will see a difference.

Alrite, I think i'll bite my tounge and send it back. Good thing I paid for expressRMA, free ground shipping to and from for exchange. : )

I think I will be going with the 940B-HAS in black. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Back