dvi kvm problems

UFarch

n00b
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
45
I have a vp171b monitor hooked up to a 2 port DVI KVM switch.

All of the cables are hooked up correctly and I am typing through the switch now. Keyboard and mouse switch great between both computers, but I have no video for either computer.

Both computers have a 9700 pro in them and neither will show any signal through the kvm. The only way I can get any monitor signal to work is to bypass the kvm for the video and use an ANALOG cable directly from computer to monitor. I can't even get a DVI cable straight from computer to monitor to give me a signal anymore on either computer !?

After a few reboots I might get a short DVI signal through the KVM, but as soon as windows kicks in (just after splash), it goes black. This, I thought must be a refresh or resolution problem, but after trying 640, 800, 1000x resolutions and different refresh rates for them I still can't get the DVI to work.

THe first boot with the KVM I did get a picture with DVI, but as soon as I switched to computer number two it flashed #2's desktop really quick as if it was going to work and then went black. Since then I have the problems I stated above.

I'm stuck, any suggestions?
 
UFarch said:
whats up with the starview kvm's?

well, i've owned two with the same problem you just described. truly sucks. it's a problem with signal loss after switching sources. it makes no sense. :eek: :rolleyes:

and i was just about to invest in a belkin dvi usb kvm in hopes of an alternative.
 
I'm using the analog bypass still, to get the monitor to work. Maybe this can help diagnose the problem:

I tried to run quake3 (I run it at 1280 res, just like my desktop) and I get an OUT OF RANGE ERROR before the ID logo comes up. Quake3 is the only game I currently have on my hd so I haven't tried anything else :/

out of range:
h.freq 29khz
v.freq 93.8hz

is this a refresh rate problem? I've tride 60, 70, and 75hz with no help.

any suggestions?
 
Back
Top