DVI-D

eno-on

[H]ard|Gawd
So yeah, bought a 19" LCD that has SVGA and DVI-D connectors.
WTF am I supposed to do with a DVI-D connector on my monitor? The output from the video card is DVI, Not DVI-D. I don't understand why they would put a DVI-D connector and cable on an LCD monitor...
Do they make DVI-D to DVI convertors? Guess I can answer that myself witha quick google search.

Your video card will most likely have a DVI-I output, which means it contains both digital and analogue signals. And since your LCD has a DVI-D jack, it will only accept a digital signal. So you will want a DVI-D cable, because DVI-I cables have extra pins that won't fit into DVI-D jacks in some cases. More info at Wikipedia.

I HAVE a dvi-d cable. Thats the problem... It doesnt plug into dvi-i output on a video card...

Very wierd, it usually should work. What does the DVI port on your video card look like. And what/how many pins are in your DVI cable?

Wont plug into fx5500, or 9800 pro. Have a dual dvi out 6800 gt n the way :\

Will look at pins again when I get to work...

A DVI-D male plug should be able to plug into a DVI-I female port, however, a DVI-I male cannot plug into a DVI-D female due to the extra pins. Try again, and take pictures if possible... Because the scenario you're describing doesn't make any sense.

You know what? Don't mind me. I was being dumb. Couldn't really see the plug because its pushed against a wall, and I just didn't have it aligned properly. Pulled the computers out from the wall and it went in fine :\

Back