DVI + Coaxial Digital Audio = HDMI?

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to perform the subject. Interestingly enough my PVR has a DVI output but no HDMI output, but it does have a coaxial digital audio output.

I'm wondering if i can combine my digital coax audio with my DVI to interface as an HDMI output.

thanks for any help

edit: and any solution you guys come up with has to be HDCP complaint... (is all HDMI HDCP complaint out of the box?)

Last edited:
Yes, there are several adapters available to perform this, most of them require seperate power supplies. Essentially you connect your DVI and SPD/IF (coax or optical) on one end, and the other side is a female HDMI port where the combined signal is output. Make sure that the adapter you choose is HDCP compliant (most will be) and you should be good to go. The only issue will be cost, these units seem to run at least $150 so if possible you may be better off just using a simple DVI->HDMI adapter (these are passive adapters, don't require additional power and are much cheaper, even included with alot of video cards and such), and run the audio seperately. This will work fine if your audio is being routed to a receiver anyway, as there is no need for the display to receive the audio signal.

Dustin

As dustNbone said. Just go straight DVI to HDMI with a $2 monoprice adapter and run the S/PDIF line separately.

Last edited:
yeah I guess thats what I'll do. For some reason I wanted the tinny audio on my TV for when I dont feel like flicking on the reciever... when im in the mood to watch TV, im usually also in the mood to not flick two power buttons... too much effort :p

but yeah that's what I'll do. I was thinking because it was digital to digital it might be pin compatible (meaning I could use a $4 junction) but it doesn't look like it is.

How does HDMI carry audio? Is it actually an analog signal?

Last edited:
Check your TV carefully... my LCD has an HDMI port that also has stereo RCA jacks for audio, (there are little boxes drawn around multi jack connections) presumably your DVR also has analog audio out... I'c connect S/PDIF to the reciever, and the analog to the TV, if it were my TV...

(FWIW mine is a Sharp)

Back