• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

DVI cable question

manny1222

Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
732
Just wondering how much of a difference (both in scientific terms and in real life view) the number of pins on a DVI cable makes. I buy cheap DVI cables off ebay. I see there's a 18+1, 24+1 and a 24+5. I currently have two 24+1 and a 18+1 connecting my three monitors in surround, accumulated over a few years. One of them (don't remember which) is connected to my GTX 670 via DVI to Displayport adapter.I'm sure I have some more 18+1 laying around here somewhere. Wondering if I need to get a third 24+1, or if it doesn't make that much a difference, or if it's putting undue stress on my card with different bandwidths (just pulling out a big word I've heard thrown around in these circles :D). Oh, btw my monitors are 1920x1200 resolution each (6120x1200 bezel corrected surround resolution).
 
18 is single-link; 24 is dual-link. 1920x1200 monitors use single-link DVI, so a dual-link cable would not make a difference because the extra pins would not be used.

+1 means it only carries a digital signal (DVI-D), while +5 means it can carry an analog signal (VGA). 12+5 is DVI-A, which means it can only carry an analog signal and is generally only used for DVI to VGA adapters/cables. 24+5 is dual-link DVI-I, which means it can carry both dual-link DVI and VGA. I'm not sure what DVI-I cables are used for because you only need digital for LCD monitors. 24+1 is sufficient to run any LCD monitor with DVI.
 
Yes, 18+1 single-link DVI is all you need for 1920x1200, and the 24+1 cables will act as 18+1 cables.
 
Back
Top