dvi cable quality

postalcop

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there any difference between a $129 dvi cable from radio shack and a $17-30 dvi cable from ebay? I don't want to shell out over a $100 for one of these cables if I don't need to.

No not really.

(well there is to a point but its not in terms of quality)

With DVI since the signal is digital, you either recive your picture, or you don't.

Doesn't degrade like analog connections can.

Now mind you if you pick up some 5 dollar cable, the quality of the cable might come in to question (like perhaps it might be more prone to breaking etc, so it would stop working)

But for something in the 17-30 dollar range will be a quality cable for sure.

I suggest belkin cables.

Thanks for the replys. I went ahead and bought a cable off ebay for $17. We'll see how it works. Thanks for the link Crimandevil. I bookmarked the website for future needs. They do have some good prices.

That's the beauty of a digital signal. It was made eliminate quality degradation through the signal. I don't understand why people pay so much money for shielded monster cables and what not when it's a digital signal. It's being sent in 0's and 1's. There's nothing to degrade unlike an analog connection.

I remember reading sometime over a year ago about some guy that soldered rca jacks to the end of two coat hangers and compared the signal with a monster cable and there was no difference in quality.

Hmm, maybe most of you have been lucky, or haven't ever used shitty cables. I can relate at least a dozen horror stories that i've seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears.

VGA cables: i've seen cheap cables cause ghosting and shimmying

DVI cables: i've seen the "sparklies" and they make the picture unwatchable, and they're more common over longer cable runs. Rare for a 6' dvi cable to have sparklies though.

RCA or Component cables: Too many stories to relate here, good component cables carry a nicer and sharper picture beyond any doubt.

While monster might be overkill most of the time, you still need a decently shielded cable, especially for >6' runs. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise ;)

Well, I got the dvi cable off ebay for $17. I ran it from my computer to the tv and so far it works great. I figured for that price it would be worth trying rather than shelling out $129+tax to radio shack right away. This is going to have limited use anyway. I was really just curious to see how games would look on my hdtv. I have to say I'm impressed. I might have to get a wireless keyboard and mouse. I still need to play with the resolution as the games don't quite fit right on the screen.

While there are DVI cables that are "arguably" worth 130 I would bet they are not from radio shack.

Back