• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DVI cable lag?

Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Messages
31
Hi guys!

For a few days ago, I finally devided to buy a new monitor (after 6 years old with my old one). It's a great monitor with both VGA and DVI. Even LED! ^^

But, it didn't come with any DVI cable in the package, so I unhooked the DVI cable that I used on my 6 year old screen.

The DVI cable worked perfectly on my old screen, but on the new one, it gets some minor lag, some jumps etc... (my best way to explain that.. xD) But on a VGA cable, everything works great like it should.

So my question is: Can a DVI cable make lag and VGA not?
Could it be my really weak graphicscard? (nVidia GT220)
Or is it something wrong with my monitor?

Thanks.
 
its most likely your monitor
a cable doesn't add lag but the dvi section in your monitor can be messed up
 
I would. If the cable is known good with another display, definitely.

Maybe it have something to do with the resolution.

This Dell screen (which the cable included with for 6 years ago) runs on 1280 x 1024.

My new screen runs on 1920 x 1080.

But still weird that the VGA cable that came with the Dell screen for 6 years ago does work...
 
Maybe it have something to do with the resolution.

This Dell screen (which the cable included with for 6 years ago) runs on 1280 x 1024.

My new screen runs on 1920 x 1080.

But still weird that the VGA cable that came with the Dell screen for 6 years ago does work...
There's a remote, very remote possibility, that at the different bus bandwidth frequency there is mismatch/signal reflection/dropped packets causing issues.

I wouldn't bank on it though.
 
There's a remote, very remote possibility, that at the different bus bandwidth frequency there is mismatch/signal reflection/dropped packets causing issues.

I wouldn't bank on it though.

Ok so I ain't a computer expert... Whaat? xD
 
the res of 1920 x 1080 i believe still fits into the DVI-S (single link) bandwidth. only resolutions above 1920x1200 (eg 2560x1600) require DVI-D (dual link).

i'm guessing if the cable is insufficient, you'll get a 'no signal' message from your monitor. this is of course assuming the cable is undamaged.

i'd be trying another DVI cable if i were you before exchanging the monitor.
 
the res of 1920 x 1080 i believe still fits into the DVI-S (single link) bandwidth. only resolutions above 1920x1200 (eg 2560x1600) require DVI-D (dual link).

i'm guessing if the cable is insufficient, you'll get a 'no signal' message from your monitor. this is of course assuming the cable is undamaged.

i'd be trying another DVI cable if i were you before exchanging the monitor.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm about to do. I asked a friend to bring his DVI cable to school tomorow, and I'll borow it to test... It's a newer one from a HP wide screen monitor... All I know, worth testing... :p
 
the res of 1920 x 1080 i believe still fits into the DVI-S (single link) bandwidth. only resolutions above 1920x1200 (eg 2560x1600) require DVI-D (dual link).
i'm guessing if the cable is insufficient, you'll get a 'no signal' message from your monitor. this is of course assuming the cable is undamaged.
i'd be trying another DVI cable if i were you before exchanging the monitor.

DVI-D means "digital", it could be either single link or dual link. (there's no such thing as DVI-S...)

A quick reference here (Connector section: pic #3 and #4 are DVI-D single / dual link)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

Other than that, you're right on the single link DVI-D should be sufficient up to 1920x1200 (commonly @60).

I'd suggest OP to reset once the new monitor refresh rate in Control Panel, and/or test another DVI cable (might be too old / damaged). If it still doesn't work, bring it back to the store and ask them to test. If the same result repeats in DVI connection, then exchange it.
 
Back
Top