DVI Audio in

Tony123

Weaksauce
Simple question

I thought that DVI had nothing to do with Audio. I guess its different now.

I'm looking for a Samsung DLP TV with both an HDMI and a DVI input.

almost all of the ones I looked at have HDMI but only some have DVI Audio

Does DVI Audio mean that Audio is integrated into the cable or does it mean it's JUST and audio cable?

If its both Audio and Video, Which will be the champ---- HDMI or DVI?

I thought that DVI had nothing to do with Audio. I guess its different now.
No, it is not different. Your first thought was correct. DVI (or digital video interface) has nothing to do with audio

...almost all of the ones I looked at have HDMI but only some have DVI Audio
Are you sure? The Samsungs that say DVI audio should also have a HDMI to DVI adaptor as well.

Does DVI Audio mean that Audio is integrated into the cable or does it mean it's JUST and audio cable?

Edited To Add: Nope, according to the Samsung picture that Igthorn provided it is just left and right rca stereo cables.

So what Audio is integrated into the cable with the video? That’s the HDMI you were talking about. It’s nothing more than DVI + S/PDIF (Digital audio). Well, it also has HDCP (copy protection).They just put everything in one smaller connection.

If its both Audio and Video, Which will be the champ---- HDMI or DVI?
HDMI will probably be the champ. It's newer and it's both digital video & digital audio in one small connector.

I don't know if I'd say that HDMI is better... HDMI is just a new spec that carries digital video (same as DVI) and digital audio (as well as being compliant with some copy protections). From what I've read, there is no quality difference between the 2. HDMI is just easier to deal with (only one cable instead of 2) and it's smaller...

xtant3150 said:
I don't know if I'd say that HDMI is better... HDMI is just a new spec that carries digital video (same as DVI) and digital audio (as well as being compliant with some copy protections). From what I've read, there is no quality difference between the 2. HDMI is just easier to deal with (only one cable instead of 2) and it's smaller...
There's no quality difference because the video signal is the same between the two connections.

I dont know if i like the idea of both running together.... i like to be able to run my audio all over the place to different things..... but for the typical user it is one less cable they have to look up in a book i guess....

Footer4321 said:
I dont know if i like the idea of both running together.... i like to be able to run my audio all over the place to different things..... but for the typical user it is one less cable they have to look up in a book i guess....

You don't have to use the audio stream in the HDMI cable, but it is available. I don't think you will EVER see a DVD player for a long long time that won't have some for of seperate audio out. But for my parents it will be nice when they can buy a TV and a HTiaB and use '1' cable to connect the two. But don't worry...Monster cable will try and say you need a $400 version :rolleyes:

Also...HDMI is superior since it can support true HD w/o needing a different cable (i.e. single link versus dual link). It also supports 10bit color per color which will allow CRT type color ability.

-tReP

Igthorn said:
If you look at some photos of Samsung DLPs listed as having "DVI audio" on the Samsung web site, you can see that it's just an audio input (red/white RCAs) associated with the DVI input selection on the TV

You are right, Igthorn.

It’s just a regular stereo cable…my mistake. :eek:

I guess you would use it to connect the DVI (from video card) and RCA cables from a PC.

Or you would use the newer cable TV boxes with dvi out.

Back