DVI and DVDs?

EPS Sniper

Gawd
I currently have my new 19" LCD (Viewsonic vx910-love it to death :) ) hooked up with the regular analog connection and had a question regarding DVDs. I've noticed that whenever watching DVDs in PowerDVD, there is always this "noise" in the picture, and what I mean by that is that the picture, while being mostly clear, still has some blemishes in it, and these blemishes were noticeable on the LCDs I've had before. Does this happen because it is an analog connection and all the digital to analog conversion involved is creating this noise? I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but I have no idea when it comes to these things, but I was wondering if a DVI cable could fix this?

Also, I've read that the Monster DVI cable seems to be the preferred cable on here, but unfortunately its 100 bucks, and me, being the college student I am, can't really afford to put that kind of money on a cable, whether it's worth it or not. Is there some middle ground between Monster and the bargain bin cable you find in a clear bag? Thanks.

for DVI, any decent working cable is fine. The point of digital is to reproduce an almost-perfect picture every time... With digital, you usually either get a signal, or you don't...

As for blemishes, remember that DVD's are only MPEG2 -- which means they're compressed. On a TV it looks great, but most TV's are low-resolution, so blemishes get blurred in with everything else... however, an LCD can acurately reproduce each pixel, and so you're gonna see exactly how it was encoded. I've noticed that my older DVD's (such "10 things I Hate About You") were on DVD5's, and were using introductory encoding techniques... These do not look nearly as nice as newer DVD's, such as "Pirates of the Carribian" which is on a DVD9, and utilizes much more advanced techniques that came from experience -- DVD's are no longer new, and companies have mastered the art of creating high-quality compressed video on DVD.

Ah, so that makes sense. I thought there was something wrong with the way I had everything configured and never considered how low res TVs are compared to computers. Well alright then, that's one less problem.

As for the DVI cable, I know that I can get the Monster for around 50 bucks instead of the 100 it normally sells at. Is this worth it, or should I just get a Belkin cable for 10 bucks off of eBay?

Thanks for the great reply, btw.

Back