DVD's with the new Security Encyptions are here folks.

kmanuel

Weaksauce
I got The Forgetton dvd. Tried to run it on my HTPC, guess what, it won't run. I can't even be ripped. Every dvd player software is getting a DRM error. It plays perfectly on my standalone dvd play but not on a pc.

So I guess new movies for 2005 will need a new pc dvd rom and new software to rip them to the hard drive. :mad:

that's horseshit. especially since I'm currently building an HTPC.

Have you tried running ANYDVD with it? Just curious if that has any effect.

Really? I was able to play it on my HTPC, though i believe i had trouble copying it, ive forgotten though.

damnit, not good news, i was just about to build an htpc, have you tried the newest firmware for your drive?

saddened by this news,
-P

Yeah the Forgotten employs Sony's new protection scheme called Acros. Other DVD's that have this that I know of are Resident Evil 2, The Forgotten, The Grudge, and Little Black Book.

They say AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter should work to make legitamate backups of these DVDs that you already own.

MATTRESS said:
what's that do?
There was a copy protection on audio CDs a while back that all you had to do was hold down the SHIFT key to bypass it... (was it on the Johnny Cash CD, ya?) Im pretty sure thats what hes refering to =)

Yeah, that's part of what I was refering to. What I was really refering to was holding down the shift to disable autoplay. The only reason that the "copy protection" worked on the CD audio discs was that they were hybrid discs: data + music. In an audio player, you got music. In a PC, the data was coded with an autoplay file that installed a temp crappy DRM scheme that meant you couldn't rip the data. Standard Windows option to stop autoplay is to hold down the shift key during CD insertion; stops any autoplay file from loading, any CD, not just audio. No autoplay load, no DRM, and rip away. I was thinking that it was a similar scheme on the DVD, as it sounds like it plays fine in a DVD player, but not a PC. I thought that maybe they adapted the autoplay DRM file to a DVD disc.

BTW, setting your Win2K or WinXP group policy to disable autoplay on all optical drives accomplishes the same thing. I know, bad for HTPC usage, but good for bypassing nasty wanna-be quasi-DRM programs.

I assume your using MCE2k5 then...? I've been reading on a couple other forums where people are having trouble playingback some new DVDs within MCE (ROTK is another one IIRC) but so far I haven't had any trouble but I don't use MCE either. ;)

Reasons like this are why I don't like to use the built in players (espically if it's MCE), might want to get a different app for DVD playback

Other DVD's that have this that I know of are Resident Evil 2, The Forgotten, The Grudge, and Little Black Book.
They worked fine for me (except for LBB which I haven't watched).

If you're using MCE, a good customizable alternative (that's also free) is MediaPortal. You can choose any program you like to open the media files.

Ryck said:
Yeah the Forgotten employs Sony's new protection scheme called Acros. Other DVD's that have this that I know of are Resident Evil 2, The Forgotten, The Grudge, and Little Black Book.

They say AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter should work to make legitamate backups of these DVDs that you already own.
i had no problem at all backing up the grudge with dvdshrink (it was an awful movie btw, and was hardly worth the generic dvd-r i burned it on) my burner is a nec1300a, so i dont know why it would be able to copy the movie and other burners can't

I know for a fact that the forgotten, LBB and RE2 all have the Sony ,SRROC I believe it is called, copy protection. Right after RE2 came out DVD Decrypter came out with an updated version and I was able to rip the movies without problem. I have ripped all 4 of the mentioned movies in this thread without issue and can easily play them back. All of them were able to play straight from the disk without error either.

I got LBB at block buster buy 2 get one free deal. Let me try and use dvd shrink on it......

<edit> my dvd drive definatly does not like the disk, stuck at 5% analysing. I'll try the shift trick. <edit>

Won't even play, I PAID for this! WTF

I used DVD decrytor to copy Forgotten, piece of cake. rip, then burn. Worked with The Grudge, Little black Book and RE2 as well. DVD Decryptor ownes all.

IDversusEGO said:
I used DVD decrytor to copy Forgotten, piece of cake. rip, then burn. Worked with The Grudge, Little black Book and RE2 as well. DVD Decryptor ownes all.
he is rite, just dl-ed and am currently ripping away

The Sony method is called ARccOS. Here's a link to it.

Here's my take on this stuff: the movie/music companies have a problem. They want to copy protect their product from people trying to copy it, BUT, cannot make it so hard that the average consumer cannot watch/listen to their product, or they won't buy it. Add in that their product has to be able to be played on "dumb" DVD/CD players, and they have a real problem. We saw it when they release copy-proof CD's that DID stop copying on PC's, but also DIDN'T play at all on regular CD players. I don't see how, or how they think that they can, produce a product that's playable on a dumb player and copy-proof on a PC. They have to limit their copy protections schemes to make them compatible with dumb players, and that will always make it possible to circumvent the copy protection.

Whether it's legal or not to actually bypass the copy protection, I'll leave that to another discussion. (I personaly think it should be legal for personal use, but whatever.) But if they want their products useable, they're always going to loose the copy protevtion/prevention wars. They're fighting a battle thet they cannot win, because the plaback standards superceede the copy protection wants.

this has happened over the years with every media. Once DVD prices drop low enough, people will still prefer to buy them. I buy anything that I watcht hat is quality, replayable material. I just wait for the "previously viewed" copy comes out at my local rental palce. I get 3 for $25. Just picked up Napoleon Dynamite, Garden State and Shaun of the Dead.

yeah....previously viewed rocks. That's how I buy most of my son's gamecube games. Why pay $45 for a new game when I can get it for $15 because someone else got tired of playing it?? Same thing with movies.

nst6563 said:
yeah....previously viewed rocks. That's how I buy most of my son's gamecube games. Why pay $45 for a new game when I can get it for $15 because someone else got tired of playing it?? Same thing with movies.
1/2 of my 120+ dvd collection (if not more) is previewed.

Yeh now i remember why i couldnt copy it, because they protect it with bad sectors, purposely put in. The latest version of DVD43Free fixes this btw.

yeah, that is an old trick. usually you can get around it by using an app that does bit-perfect copies.

Oneos said:
Yeh now i remember why i couldnt copy it, because they protect it with bad sectors, purposely put in.

Wow, they still using that? I haven't seen that trick since the days of 5.25" floppy drive games on my old Commodore 64. Talk about old-school anti-copy tricks. Must have some old engineers in the Sony R&D section, talking about hte good old days. "And this one time, at computer camp..."

is this similar to the scheme Universal has employed on their bourne supremacy disc? all i had to do was use DVD Shrink and set the "unferenced material" folder to still images and voila, i can burn.

does the sony copy scheme have a folder you can set still images to and still work?

Back