DVD RW for Quiet SFF setup

notoriousformula

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, I'm looking for Quiet reading/writing DVD RW for my new SK83G setup.. Also do SFF need small drives?

Is BenQ DW-1620A a good choice?

many thanks :)

Any 5.25 optical drive will fit in the shuttles just fine. In my experience, Plextors are the quietest drives not to mention the most reliable though Sony's are pretty good as well.

I was amazed by how much quieter my NEC 3520 was than my good ole 12x cd burner. Just a thought, and I think you can get a really good deal on them now with 50 DVDs. I believe the link is in the [H]ot Deals section, sorry I would look for it but I am leaving work right now.

I ended up going with LG, because they were rated the quietest in a foreign mag review (read on SilentPCReview forums), and I am amazed at how quiet it is! My Lite-On Combo drive literally sounded like a jet taking off anytime it spun up to read something. The LG is silent spinning and only makes little chirps when it's reading. Lovin' it!

sleepeeg3 said:
I ended up going with LG, because they were rated the quietest in a foreign mag review, and I am amazed at how quiet it is! My Lite-On Combo drive literally sounded like a jet taking off anytime it spun up to read something. The LG is silent spinning and only makes little chirps when it's reading. Lovin' it!

Thanks Guys, I got the LG GSA-4163B.. Installing right now :D

I would suggest the NEC 3520a, I have had several NEC DVD Burners and they have all burned perfectly and are very quiet, and you can pick up a 16 dual layer burner for 63.00 on the egg.

Novensu

I have had 2 NEC's 3520 (one black and one white) and still own one.
I've installed in last month 8 of them in Shuttles I've made for friends and clients and for Me My self. All of them are ten times more noisy then anything else in Shuttle. Only one two grafic cards coolers where louder.
Bottom line NEC 3520 is great Burner but all of those I've seen / build in /own/owned are very nosiy drives.
Also most of a modern writers are noisy.

MD

Back