• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DVD-ROM Qs?

andygold

n00b
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
5
I just bought an Asus DVD-E616P1 reader. Every time I try to rip a DVD it tells me it's copy guarded. It also is giving me some headaches with extreme pixelation and missing data when trying to watch store-bought DVDs.

Can anyone recommend a good quality (black face, internal, 16x) DVD-ROM reader/ripper? I saw some units by Sony, but they appeared to only read -R and -RW. I'm looking for a unit that will read + and - .

Lastly, if it's available at Newegg, that would be a plus.
 
Did you buy the drive new? The copyguard thing is normal, for more info on ripping dvds check out doom9.org, they have programs there which should do it for you. As far as the pixelation and stuff is concerned, are you sure its the drive? Try a different dvd playback prog. Also, if you have nero installed (you can also download a demo from www.ahead.de) use the nero cd-speed utility, it will read a cd or dvd and give you a graph of errors. If there are a lot of errors on a brand new disc, it is probably the drive.

Dario
 
Thanks for the info!
The drive is a new OEM/bulk unit. Why is the copy guard thing normal? Reason I ask is that I never experienced it with my other machine (NEC reader/HP writer), and on my new machine, when I put the DVD into the Pioneer burner, it ripped it with no mention of copy guard protection.

I tried Asus' version of PowerDVD 4.0, and a stand alone version of the same software at version 5.0, with the same results, although I did get a better (but not acceptable) playback with the earlier version.

Nero is not yet installed. I have no burning software on the machine as of yet...it's been crashing left and right ( I think I have a bad Neo2 Platinum mobo too!!!)...I just wanted to verify at the time if the drives were working as the ASUS was also giving me some hassles with installing Windows.

I'm going to RMA the drive and order something else...hopefully something that others tell me that works for them with no problems,

And, as to Doom9.org (great site) I'm going there next....haven't visited them in years. Thanks for the heads up! :)
 
Well, the Lite-on 167 model seem to work fine for most people.
 
....a polite reminder that discussions on how to subvert copy protection are not allowed on these forums....:cool:

Sounds like you got a bad drive; the pixellation could be a result of multiple read attempts, and the bad data should be self explanitory. DOA's happen, darn it. RMA the sucker and move on. I have to say - I sure like my Toshiba DVD-ROM. It has a great track record around B.B.S. labs and seems to manage to read darn near anything I've thrown it.

Good luck - B.B.S.
 
All I'm trying to do is make back-up copies of the kid's movies, to use when traveling in our van. I don't want to run the risk of destroying originals...which the kids have already done numerous times. i don't believe there is anything illegal in what I am doing. If I am breaking some law, please enlighten me!!! :confused:
 
dariob said:
Well, the Lite-on 167 model seem to work fine for most people.

The lite-on's are great. They read scratched disks very well. As far as copying movies goes, the mods are strange about that stuff. You can't talk about copying movies or even using no CD hacks, but people are always bragging about the size of their MP3 collections. I guess because the [H] is always ragging on the RIAA. Anyways, their site, nothing we can do about it.

andygold, ygpm :)
 
andygold said:
All I'm trying to do is make back-up copies of the kid's movies, to use when traveling in our van. I don't want to run the risk of destroying originals...which the kids have already done numerous times. i don't believe there is anything illegal in what I am doing. If I am breaking some law, please enlighten me!!! :confused:

Yep, its called the DMCA. Illegal to subvert digital copy protection. :(
 
I can't speak for American law, as I'm not conversant with it. So,please stay away from public discussion about DVD ripping.
 
Back
Top