DVD-ROM not properly working!

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
Well my DVD-ROM is not reading anything I give it. This wasbefore I formatted and after. The computer recognizes it and the tray can open and close fine. The computer does list the drive correctly as a "Pioneer" drive. What can be wrong with it?

When you place a disc in the drive does Windows see it at all? If it doesn't I would suspect that the laser is dead.

~ Novensu

Novensu said:
When you place a disc in the drive does Windows see it at all? If it doesn't I would suspect that the laser is dead.

~ Novensu

I think Windows does see it because you can see the mouse arrow with the disc as in it is reading. When I try to access the drive with the disc in through "My Computer" it will say there is no disc. The drive will respond to commands such as if I eject it through Windows. I dunno what is wrong! :(

IT seems like there are a lot of other people who are having the same problem..

My dvd-116r drive also does not work properly. it cant read any disc types at all. Although i did upgrade to XP from ME the drive stopped working a few weeks AFTER the install was done.

pioneer 116r - installed XP SP1 or 2 - won't recognize dvd - stop pounding your head on the wall
Microsoft is to blame!!! I don't know the specifics (I'm just a humble user) however, their software requires decoders (software for the system to recognize a dvd) compatible with their new software. Of course, they're not giving it away. Intervideo is selling probably the cheapest one out there until someone steals it. Here's a link: http://www.intervideo.com/media_pack/jsp/Product_Profile.jsp?p=DVDMP3XPack&AID=10310167&PID=1423151

Hello,
I don't use my DVD that often...I used it about 3 months ago and everything worked just fine. I just rented one DVD and bought another DVD. Neither one of them will play on my DVD. The DVD that I have is a Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-116R, I have a SONY VIAO computer. I ran the trouble-shooting program from the 'Add Hardware Wizard' and it could not help me. I checked for up-dates and they are none. When I'm in 'My Cmputer' and I click on the DVD, I get a message the says: "Please insert disc into drive E." It says
this even with and without the DVD in the drive!!!
When I insert the DVD, there is a small CD sysmbol near the cursor for a few moments and nothing happens. I tired pressing the 'Shift key' while inserting the DVD to by-pass the set-up program but, still nothing happens. I did this with and without my DVD
program open.
Thanks you for your time & effort on this. :^D
Clifton

I do have that Pioneer drive, the DVD-116R. I found all of these stories by searching for the drive's name. I guess there is a problem with the drive in Windows XP because I awas also having it work fine in Windows ME. Argh! All of the people in the searches I made could not find a "fix" for the problem. Anyone from [H] have any idea and can help me?

Back