DVD rom / Burner problems.

Ripskin

2[H]4U
First off;

The DVD rom worked yesterday, as I was playing bf2 dvd edition and watched a dvd on it. Today I go to pop in a dvd and nothing happens, open my computer which shows drive but no content inserted. Went to device manager and it showed drive installed and working just fine. Interesting. Pop a cd in there loads up and works perfectly.

Model number is JLMS XJ-HD 166S

So I look online to see if there are known issues, couldnt find any, and decided to reinstall the drive. After that didnt work I thought my players or codecs were off, uninstalled every one of them and reinstalled, still wont read dvd's. Reinstalled the drive itself, physically to make sure the connections were set properly. Didnt fix the problem.

I put the dvd into my dvd burner, and it show's the content in my computer and in any play, go to play it, it acts like its going to play, and will either sit there like its finished playing or it will play a few seconds and then stop.

Model number is TDK DVDRW1280B

Im completely stumped as to why both drives suddenly went bad over night, two days ago I burned a dvd and a cd, nothing worng, the burner just gets used to burn pretty much and the dvd rom for everything else. The rom is two years old and has had a lot of use but even then why would window's still show everything working properly? (aside from it being windows)

If I have to buy a new rom thats understandable even though the problem is so weird to me. But the burner not reading or playing properly? That has me worried, payed good money for this burner. As to the dvd's I tried to play, one is BF2, perfect condition, and the other Family Guy dvd's that my PS2 playes just fine.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Update: Just was playing a few dvd's through the burner, and as long as there is footage to play at the start of the disk it will load and play it, but once it goes to load the menu or if you try to send it to any menu it cuts out completely. The DVD rom still wont recognize any dvd's but plays vcd's and so forth just fine.

Back