DVD Ripping/Shrinking/Burning

I know very little about burning DVDs and recently got a computer with a DVD burner on it. What programs do I need to take a DVD rip it to my hard drive and then compress it and burn it to a DVD I can watch on my normal DVD player. I have heard that DVD shrink is good for compression of large DVDs to fit onto a blank DVD and Nero is good for burning DVDs. What program do I use to rip the DVD because I know that many are protected (before any moderators get angry about ripping copyrighted CDs, all I am doing is look to make back ups of my current DVDs as my friends tend to borrow them and trash them). Also is there any place to get Nero cheap, as 80 bucks is pretty steep for one of multiple programs I need to get. Is there cheaper programs that are just as good.

RipIt4Me might be the easiest possible solution for someone new to doing the full backup, but then again, you can use DVDDecrypter or DVDShrink as standalones, as well. As long as you have Nero installed, DVDShrink will even do the burn too.

additionally, with dvd shrink - nero isn't needed. instead of burning with nero, set dvdshrink to create an iso and you can burn the resulting iso file with dvd decrypter or imgburn

I use ripit4me - which needs dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. There are tons of possible combos for this to work.

What ever happened to the old version of dvd shrink that would ask you if you would like to burn the media when it was done backing up? Now it just tells you its ready to burn with the appropriate software.

RipIt4Me, just make sure both it & FixVTS are up to date. It also uses DVDDecrypter & DVDShrink, but neither of these is updated anymore so make sure to use the correct version of these.
DVDDecrypter & DVDShrink would be great as standalones if either of them could break any of the new encryption (say arccos/puppetlock :mad: ), but they can't.

I was able to get a copy of the newest nero. I have a laptop and only one disc drive. Can I use dvd shrink to create and ISO and then burn the ISO to DVD through Nero?

Another vote for Ripit4me. I use that if DVDShrink alone doesn't work. I don't buy many DVDs anymore so I haven't had much to rip in awhile.

Ripit4Me has worked for me.

It uses DVDShrink, DVD Decryptor in the ripping process. So you need all 3 of them.

And then DVDShrink can have Nero burn it for you, too... if you have that installed as well.

It is able to rip just the movie, if you don't care about special features. I love it. Saves on both ripping and burning time. Stick it in, it plays... no menus to go through.

DVDfab works good for all things DVD(and is on sale almost always for $50 for the top-of-the-line version). I used it to make a compilation DVD for work out of about 7 promotional DVDs. You can rip to your HDD and watch them from a virtual drive, compress those LotR Special Editions onto 1 disk(per movie, not all 3 movies...or 6 disks). It does have some stability issues, but I was using Vista, so I am not sure it was the software or the OS.

Back