DVD-R woes

jbmx4life

2[H]4U
I got a MicroAdvantage flashed to AOpen 1616ARR DVD writer drive. I have Memorex DVD-R media and I have been trying to burn a copy of Windows Vista that I downloaded recently so that I can try it out. I have tried to burn on 2 different discs and both of them error out. I have 3 other discs that are new but I am hesitant to try and burn to them fearing that I have already lost the other 2 errored out discs. I have tried using Nero, ISO Buster, Alcohol 120% all to no avail. DO I need different media to burn to? Would the +R discs be a better choice or maybe a DVD/RW even? TIA for the help.

J

Yeah, sounds like a media issue. Get some good stuff, eg Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and give it a shot. That AOpen isn't the best burner in the world anyway.. so feed it some good media.

Yeah I already know AOpen is crap but I didn't do my research before I picked up the burner for dirt cheap from Office Max. I think it was like $39 out the door and this is the first DVD burner I have had. What are Taiyo Yuden? I understand it is a manufacturer but who is the seller (Sony, Maxell, ect.)? Thanks for the help.

jbmx4life said:
Yeah I already know AOpen is crap but I didn't do my research before I picked up the burner for dirt cheap from Office Max. I think it was like $39 out the door and this is the first DVD burner I have had. What are Taiyo Yuden? I understand it is a manufacturer but who is the seller (Sony, Maxell, ect.)? Thanks for the help.
They have their own brand discs. www.rima.com
Or for B&M, go to Sears and get Sony brand 8X +R discs.Make sure they say MADE IN JAPAN on the packaging.

Oh, and for less than that 39$, at the Egg or other online stores, you can get better drives,like the LG H10A or Lite-On 165H6S/P6S.

Average drive paired with Memorex = yuck. Memorex, IME, are bottom of the barrel from CMC-Magnetics (another media company). My company keeps important test images on Memorex DVDs, and about 90% of the ones I deal with (a lot are less than 6 - 10 months old) are already dead.

On media:
Don't forget Maxell, they are very good media and can be found in some chain stores like Staples. You can find rebranded Taiyo Yudens from Fuji at Best Buy, but you have to read the label and make sure the discs were made in Japan.

OK I will haveto go and check out those. Thanks for the info guys. I also have a laptop that has a DVD-RW drive. It is a Mashita UJ-845D. Do you think that drive might work better than the desktop AOpen drive?

I would mount the ISO file to a virtual drive first and verify you ahave a working ISO.
I had to get the Vista RC2 image 3 times from ms before I had an error free image.

How would I go about verifying the ISO file? I have just found out that this Matshita drive won't even recognize that the DVD is inserted. This is forking ridiculous. What about HP DVD's? Office Maxhas them on sale. If I really have to I can go over to Wal-Mart and see what they got.

Well I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a 3pack of each DVD+R and DVD-R. Both of them seem to be recognized well in my laptop. They are both stated to be made in Taiwan. Now which one should I se to burn this image on? Does it really matter? How do I check the ISO before I burn it as I don't want to waste these DVD's, they are all I got? Thanks guys.

Back