• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DVD player software that can...

Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
28
Bluetooth wireless headphones have a lag of around 0.25s on the best stereo ones around (e.g Plantronics Pulsar 590), which is fine for music etc, but for DVDs the official advice is to lag the video playback deliberately . Apparently some DVD software can do this.

The question is therefore, does anyone know a piece of DVD software (the free-er the better!) that lets the user specify lag times for the video stream seperate from the audio? I've looked generally but may be googling inferior keywords.

My intention is to use the headset with my PC, via dongle, as well as with my phone-mp3 player. One unit to do everything so to speak.
 
ffdshow (audio filter) will let you set a specific delay for each channel of audio. As long as you can set whatever DVD software that you are using to use ffdshow for audio processing, then you can take advantage of this. If you don't have a DVD player, I highly suggest Zoomplayer (current beta versions are free) or something like MPC. There are also a few freeware (Gabest, I think) DVD processors out there. The Zoomplayer FAQ's can tell you how to set this up.

Disclaimer: I've not tried the delay feature of ffdshow so I can't vouch for how well it works. However, on the balance, everything else that I have tried in ffdshow has worked perfectly.

Bonus: it's free!
 
Zoomplayer has built in hotkeys to do that I believe.

| Shift | + (Pad) | Resync Audio +10ms
| Shift | - (Pad) | Resync Audio -10ms

so hitting Shift - or + will change the delay for you while the movie is playing. I haven't tested this but I imagine it would work, albeit manually.
 
Sgraffite: Zoomplayer's "resynch audio" hotkeys work well for media files, but only seem to work in media mode ie for avi files on a HDD etc, not for DVDs. Spot on suggestion though.

arkamw: ffdshow only lets you delay the audio. I need to advance it. It won't take negative numbers :(

I think maybe what i need is a video decoder/filter/thing that lets you put a delay in the video stream, since negatively delaying the audio seems quite the rare feature for DVD playback.
 
graldensblud said:
arkamw: ffdshow only lets you delay the audio. I need to advance it. It won't take negative numbers :(

I think maybe what i need is a video decoder/filter/thing that lets you put a delay in the video stream, since negatively delaying the audio seems quite the rare feature for DVD playback.
That would be my bad. I misread the post as delaying the audio stream, not delaying the video stream.

Take a look at MPC: view > options > audio switcher > audio time shift and see if that will help you. On watching a physical DVD, I was able to offset the audio by +1 sec (that's a REALLY strange way to watch a movie, BTW) which is what I think you want to do (positive offset, not negative offset). When I tried negative offset, the movie got really choppy. I am guessing that the drive was having to perform to seeks per frame and that was killing performance, but can't back that up. A faster drive would certainly help this.

Personally, I would look more at offsetting the audio stream as opposed to the video. IMHO, it would take a lot less processing power. Hopefully, this is more what you are looking for.
 
Bingo, first player that can do it that i've found. You weren't kidding about the choppiness though, were you!

However, it is in fact negative offset i need (audio ahead of video), but i can manage the 0.26s (which Plantronics say their setup uses), without CPU intensity hitting 100% / no jerkiness. I tried 1s first though, big mistake!

Strange it uses a negative shift value to move the audio forewards i guess, but positive shift is deliberately lagging audio, which is more common. advancing audio must mean it has to read the audio from the DVD ahead of the video, so i'd concurr with your thought on higher number of seeks.

If you know of any other DVD apps that let me do this (negative shift), I'd still be interested, since a choice of two players is better than a choice of one. I hadn't even thought of using WMC since it always appears so *basic*. My bad!
 
VLC.CTRL+S, Audio (enable advanced settings).

edit: Works nicely, I tried with -2000 ms and saw no ill performance effect (playing DVD image over the network). However, the value doesn't update in real-time so you must save and restart the movie if you want to adjust it.
 
Back
Top