DVD + or - R / RW???

videogamer323

Limp Gawd
OK i bought the Lite-On LDW-411S and so it has DVD-R and DVD+R capabilities. But what kind should i get? Is there advantages and disadvantages between the 2 except i saw most DVD+R are less expensive. I'll will be doing a mix of backing up data like .avi files and whatnot and I'll probably be burning DVDs for use in my PS2, and/or DVD player.

Another Question www.supermediastore.com is where im going to get my DVDs, they have Ritek and, which I heard were the best, but they have these brand called Optodisc. Will these work in my burner, along with my DVD player, I saw they were a lot cheaper than the Ritek.

Thanks

lol all i had was a simple questin ;) and i got a years worth of shit to read, sorry but i dont have the time for that shit. Plus i dont know what the heck im looking at for half the stuff.

Just wanted to know if the Optodisc DVD+R 4x brand would be ok or should i stick with Ritek DVD+R 4x?

Also what the differences between -R and +R

Originally posted by videogamer323
lol all i had was a simple questin ;) and i got a years worth of shit to read, sorry but i dont have the time for that shit. Plus i dont know what the heck im looking at for half the stuff.

Just wanted to know if the Optodisc DVD+R 4x brand would be ok or should i stick with Ritek DVD+R 4x?

Also what the differences between -R and +R

You ignorant uninformed cheeze. Here you have been provided with a wealth of knowledge FROM A very good forum member, for your small brain to soak up, and links to what they are, and all you can say is "...you don't have time for that shit."

grow up, Czar was nice, I would have made you find the SHIT on your own...
edited for kindness...

DeepFreeze

Originally posted by DeepFreeze

edited for kindness...

LOL I dont think I want to see the original draft :p

he did preface the statement with LOL
and it was overkill, but as Deep Freeze points out, you should eventually read those, and bookmark them ;)

yes ok im sorry for being an ass, its just im not in the mood to read a lot today ( 1 hour of sleep and had 2 finals today) so thats y i just wanted a basic answer. Thanks for the links i will bookmark and check them out later.

OOOOO i see how this works, didnt see the attachments in the forum... Yay im a moron

but still the other question, from what i gathered +R is good for both data and DVD players and -R is more for DVD players only. Am I right on this or not???

Anyway thanks again for ur help,

Both are equally good. Go for whatever blanks are cheaper in your area. Optodick and Ritek? No contest.. get the RIteks, they are much better.

well what is ur take on the situation Ice Czar? I personaly think, from reading some of the stuff u post earlier, that the DVD+R discs would work better, but have like an 10% lower chance of working in DVD players. Tho that isnt a big deal.

Also Do u know if the Ritek DVD+R 2.4x discs will work in a version 7 or 8 (forget which i have) PS2?

Im also gonna buy some DVD+RWs since im new to the whole DVD burning thing, in hopes of not getting any coasters and of course saving cash. Go with the + on them too right? i would think i would want them the same so they are more a like for the players.

Thanks

truthfully TechHead has about 60 times more burning experience than I do, and he has written most of our Optical FAQs

my information regarding compatibility could well be out of date
its a very fast moving tech sector and one I dont follow as closely as TechHead

DVDRHelp Compatibility List
3530 DVD Players in the list based on 29116 user reports

regarding the RiTEK media, yah it would probably work fine
however the one thing you keep seeing in all those forums is,
dont buy a 100 pack of any media (or a 600 pack)
until you have tested it yourself ;)

Originally posted by Ice Czar
so sayth TechHead our Optical Guru ;)

Lol! No dude, I just spend too much time @ cdrlabs and cdfreaks, and repeat the same stuff here.. no Guru-ness involved :p

@Videogamer323 : We're going to need more info here.Which player are most of your burned DVDs going to be used on?The 411S you have,which firmware are you using? I'd recommend using ATLEAST FS0F, which improves the drive's media compatibility and speeds significantly. Get it ASAP, it's the first thing you need to do.

IF you're going to use burned DVDs on the PS2, I hope you know your PS2 will need to be modchipped for that? Good. Riteks will work fine on the PS2, although it does prefer -R media. (Atleast mine does.).In that case, I'd recommend these discs:

Ritek G04

From what I know the PS2 has trouble with both formats but DVD-R seem to be more compatible. The newer PS2 has been updated though, not sure which one you have. Mine seems to perferr the DVD-R discs. Both formats have their intended purposes, I don't remember the brake down off the top of my head though.

ok well i have 2 burned DVDs that i got from a guy i know that was going to mod my PS2. Well they work fine in my PS2 and i dont have a modchip currently in. The thing is i would ask him what type of DVD he used, but he passed away not too long ago... They are full featured DVDs (The Recruit and Star Trek Nemisis) they work pretty good in my PS2 but have a jumpy screen.

As for what DVD ill by Using, I will probably end up burning DVDs for people so its not a set player...

ok 2 more quick questions,

I got my Lite-On burner today and instead of being a 411s its a 451s, so i looked it up on Lite-On's site and found that there is no difference they listed except the 451s' have different firmware verions and only 2 of them... Does anyone know if this is maybe a newer version so it doesnt need as many updates?

ok second question,
my burner supports 4x DVD -R/+R and +RW, but only 2x on -RW, it also has 4x Rewrite on all but the -RW. I want to pick up some DVD- or + RWs to use, but the 2x -R makes me wanna go +R. How much slower is 2x compared to 4x? These will mostly be used for Data and some movies just to see how good they are before wasting a DVD-R.

Thanks!

Say an hour of mpeg2 movie-
2x- 30min
4x- 15min
Give or take, I don't know about the 451S but I know that the 401S is 4x 4x 12x DVD+RW but you can flash it to +/-.

keep in mind that RW really isnt a good idea for any longterm storage, or even if it employed too many times

equally applicable to CD and DVD

just what you wanted a few more links :p
http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/Longevity.html

DVD RW and DVD+RW specify approximatly1000 rewrites. and this would be the optimistic number with near perfect storage and environment, with the highest quality of media available, actual media would likely be much less

http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/pc_support/2003-July/003535.html

"First off, optical record (burn once) dye-media is typically more
reliable than optical packet write (rewrite) magneto-optical (MO) --
although neither is as reliable as common magnetic media. Also
understand optical record is a sequential operation. So if you get a
bad "write" there's nothing "write with verify" can do for you -- your
media is now useless because it cannot be fixed, you already wrote the
"bad" sector. So what, get another cheap DVD-R(G) disc and try again.
;-ppp

So "write with verify," as well as number of rewrites, is only a big
deal for MO media. DVD-RW/+RW not only average ~5 errors per disc, but
don't even detect when they do write an error (they blindly assume it
wrote correctly), let alone can only be re-written 1,000 times. 1,000
times is not much if the sector where the FAT/directory tables are is
being constantly modified. DVD-RAM improves the number of re-writes to
100,000, adds a cartridge format which furthers lifespan, as well as
uses a "write with verify" to catch (and correct) errors when they happen."

Stick to -R or +R if its at all important, RW would be fine if its say a redundant set of backup, or truly short term storage where the original is still available and you just want to transport it ;)

ok cool thanks, thats what i was going to do mostly anyway, like backup of game saves, programs, maybe some anime. Now for another question, im going to hook both my CD-RW and DVD+-RW drive on the same IDE cable. Which should as i put as master and slave?

I would figure the CDRW since it's a faster drive.
You know it would be better if they each had their own IDE port. ;)

well both wouldnt be running concurrently so thats actually a good setup ;) unless your copying directly
even then, independent device timing allows devices that share the same channel to operate at their own highest DMA mode
which in this case is identical ...mode 2 :p
while the CDR might burn faster, its not pulling data off the bus faster

however IDE is sequential, so it would need to complete a read from the source and then write it and repeat, causing some slowing in a direct copy situation. But that isnt all that common, I at least generally burn an image to the HDD and then burn the disc

so to answer the question...either
what looks better? :p

another question actually 2 lol,
ok u say since they wont be running at the same time, does that mean i cant? even if they are on a different channel cause i need to burn like 40 CDs here in this next week (movies and whatnot) and i was going to use both at the same time.

And if the answer is i can but they need to be on serperate channels that brings up my second question. Well its more of a problem that can be fixed when i get my DVDs to burn a backup.

I have a 60gig IDE HDD that had windows XP on it then i installed 2 120gig SATA drives and they are in raid 0. the problem is if i boot my computer without the IDE in now, even tho i installed Windows XP on the RAID setup, it says no boot drive. i know that means the IDE had windows first so its the IDE drive, but is there a way to change that without reformatting/installing WinXP without the IDE drive in?
Also the IDE drive is used for backing up the 120gig as of now so nothing but 2gig WinXP and Ghost backup.

in that case put them on seperate channels

Time to read :p

short but mostly cryptic
Definition of System and Boot Partition
the long version
Inside the boot process, part 1 & 2

more than likely your system partition is on the IDE and your booting to the RAID (the IDE has the ntldr & boot.ini, and then satrts the OS proper on the RAID)

I cant remember if a repair install to the RAID (booting from the CD) will work or not (writting the boot sector, MBR, ntldr ect) you would disconnect the IDE first for safety

I always install to seperate HDDs, and then employ the BIOS boot order to select which HDD I actually boot to, it then only references the OSs that are installed on that physical HDD in its boot.ini, even though there maybe other HDDs in the computer that have bootable OSs

Yeah you'll run into a lot of people with Geekitis explaining a bunch of shit us common folk could care less about.

In my experience...
DVD+R are less compatible but cheaper
DVD-R are more compatible but more costly

Really neither is better than the other and I don't know why the flock we ain't settled on one standard yet.

I use Ritek DVD-R's and they burn great. Make sure you get ones labeled for 4x use. I bought some 1x ones one time and flashed my drive so it would burn them at 2x. Results were mixed, some worked, some didn't.

Yeah and don't buy a 100 pack. If you're gettin started a 25 pack will last you awhile.

I know about the boot.ini and stuff, but i didnt know if there was an easy way of changing it to a boot drive without reinstalling. I think ill try that repair tho, didnt even think of it. How much of that is rewriten, i forget, isnt just the OS files? Like all ur menus and settings stay as is right?

ok 2 more quick questions,

I got my Lite-On burner today and instead of being a 411s its a 451s, so i looked it up on Lite-On's site and found that there is no difference they listed except the 451s' have different firmware verions and only 2 of them... Does anyone know if this is maybe a newer version so it doesnt need as many updates?

ok second question,
my burner supports 4x DVD -R/+R and +RW, but only 2x on -RW, it also has 4x Rewrite on all but the -RW. I want to pick up some DVD- or + RWs to use, but the 2x -R makes me wanna go +R. How much slower is 2x compared to 4x? These will mostly be used for Data and some movies just to see how good they are before wasting a DVD-R.

Thanks!

451S is the same as the 411S, different Pick-Up Head (PUH) as compared to the 411S. You can flash it to burn at 8X +R if you want.

And have there been any problems with flashing 451S to 811S?
Like taking down performance, in the DVD quality sense, of course its going to be faster.

Originally posted by batotman
Yeah you'll run into a lot of people with Geekitis explaining a bunch of shit us common folk could care less about......

:mad:

It is "couldn't care less"!

Sorry just a pet-peave of mine.:D

Anyway, I agree with what you said. Also, I am wondering why there is not a set standard yet. They don't have one solid standard and drive makers are coming out with 12x burners soon....sheesh.:confused:

And have there been any problems with flashing 451S to 811S?
Like taking down performance, in the DVD quality sense, of course its going to be faster.

Not many problems.. you have to know what you're doing.

For DVD-R, they work great in SONY dvd players from 1999 up.

DVD+ works great in 2001 Up...

Havent done DVD+RW yet, will try this weekend if CZAR looks at my thread about SCSI and WinXP Pro not playing nice.

Back