DVD experts please help!

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought the first season of 24, and I have approached several delemas while attempting to back up the disks. Each CD has 4 episodes roughly 1.9GB each (7.65GB total). Because I can't write dual layer, I would have to compress each DVD to about 50% in order to make it all fit. I do not wish to compress that much, so I would rather just stick three episodes on a disk and have it only be compressed a little bit. Each episode has two chapter.

Here's what I would like to do: After I extract all the video files (using dvd-shrink), I will want to keep ONLY the first three episodes and ditch everything else (menus, extras, fbi warnings etc etc...). Exactly which files will I need? I tried to trial-and-error this a bit and couldn't quite discover exactly which ones I needed.

Here are all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder:

VIDEO_TS
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_02_0
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_03_0
VTS_03_0.BUP
VTS_03_1.VOB
VTS_04_0
VTS_04_0.BUP
VTS_04_0.VOB
VTS_04_1.VOB
VTS_04_2.VOB
VTS_04_3.VOB
VTS_04_4.VOB
VTS_04_5.VOB
VTS_04_6.VOB
VTS_04_7.VOB
VTS_04_8.VOB

the last 8 VOB files are all nearly 1GB each.

Thanks everyone!

cant really answer your question but...

I backed up my season 2 of 24 with clonedvd.... stripped any unneeded crap and kept only the menu and 4 episodes. It had to compress a little but it still looks 99% like the original...

Ill have a closer look at the discs when I get home.. are their subtitles or additional audio you can remove before hand? I really dont remember but ill look when I get home like I said.

Using DVDShrink's reauthor mode, you should be able to drag the tiles you want over, encode, then repeat for the other episodes. If they are all in one title or something, you can use the start/end window to select what you want. I've done this with very long DVD movie backups and it works just fine.

OKAY I think I've figured half of it out, but I've run into another problem. I used CloneDVD to extract the first three episodes off the first disk and compressed them to fit on one DVD. This works perfectly and I'm satisfied with the quality level and whatnot.

Problem?

There is one episode left on the first disk, and I would like to add three episodes per disk...therefore I would need to take the last episode off the first disk and burn it along with the first two of the second disk.

Keeping up?

Now, how the hell do I do that.....I can't drag them in because I they have the same filename (renaming them doesn't help, they don't show up). It appears as if an nfo file of some sort controls that, but I don't know how to edit it.

Still here?

Now how do I take different episodes from different disks and compile them on one DVD?????????

Back