DVD disk drive woes.

jawsh77

Weaksauce
Long story short. New laptop couple months and I am just now discovering this problem. Gateway Vista 64 bit. DVD drive will read dvds just fine but will not read cds. So far I have tried un-installing device driver and letting windows re-install. Hooking up external burner. CDs still not detected. Last night I went to play counter strike and I hear music playing. Sure enough I had a cd still in my drive from trying to troubleshoot this problem. Counter strike auto plays cds when they are in your drive. Odd right? cd will play when in cs but not detected at all in vista. Along with this and cds still not detected even with external burner leads me to believe that it is a software issue rather than hardware. Any insight appreciated.

It would help to tell us which software doesnt play CDs.
Try winamp.

its not software that wont play cds. they are just not detected whatsoever. no auto play. nothing in the E drive shows up when I insert one.

On XP (from help and support)

To change how your computer handles multimedia content
Open My Computer.
Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.
On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to change.
Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it detects the media type you selected.

It will be similar for Vista.

If you install Winamp and let it take care of playing of audio CD's you should be home and dry without changing anything.

Back