DVD Copy Program (Lost faith in RipIt4Me)

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
For some reason RipIt4Me chose to stick a few extra titles (director comments, etc) in a few seconds here and there during the actual movie. The sound of the movie kept running, it just grabbed several seconds of non-movie video and stuck it in.

Pretty odd, I know.

That said- what is a good DVD Backup program?
I liked RipIt4Me because I could strip out everything but the movie. But at least having a backup of everything would be better than shotty.

So, either an exact copy or something that I can customize.

At this point I would prefer something that makes an exact duplicate- with "1 Click" interface (IE, no configuration. All it knows is to make an exact duplicate- thus no errors).

I should also mention it would have to be saved to the hard drive before burning, as I only have one DVD+-RW drive.

RipIt4Me is the only program that I know of that is still updated. Everything else could have problems with decrypting newer DVDs.

Nero Recode / DVD Shrink will do want you want, but DVD Shrink hasn't been updated, and Nero won't handle anything encrypted.

ImgBurn will allow you to save the .vob files to your hard drive and also create an .iso out of them. I'm pretty sure you can't edit the video with it though.

I've always been a fan of anydvd and clone dvd, lots of updates and easy to use. You can also drop them right on your HDD and burn later.

RipIt4Me is the only program that I know of that is still updated.

you should keep up with the times. RipIt4Me is no more. You can still find the latest version on some sites. But RipIt4Me will no longer be updated.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is now the best free solution for getting the DVD to your hard drive. Then you can use your choice of compression method(shrink,recode,clonedvd2....etc.)

you should keep up with the times. RipIt4Me is no more. You can still find the latest version on some sites. But RipIt4Me will no longer be updated.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is now the best free solution for getting the DVD to your hard drive. Then you can use your choice of compression method(shrink,recode,clonedvd2....etc.)
Stop going to Doom9 for a few weeks and this happens.. :rolleyes:

I was going to purchase AnyDVD after hearing about it on Windows Weekly, but I totally forget about DVDFab.

Thanks for the replies, there is no one-click, one software solution?

I think the fact you jump from software to software is what screwed with RipIt4Me, whereas one peice of software you know works.

There isn't any "One-Click" solutions ever since DVDXCopy (321 Studios) was sued into the ground and had to be shut down -- thereby making it illegal to have an all-in-one. So, you have to use a separate ripper and encoder/burner.

I have been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD for 2 years now. It is clearly the best combination of up-to-date software that is relatively easy to use and still gives many options (such as selecting/de-selecting specific audio/title options). Sure, it isn't free, but there's ways around that, too (which I am not condoning).

I was going to purchase AnyDVD after hearing about it on Windows Weekly, but I totally forget about DVDFab.
So they both do roughly the same thing? I was just about to buy anyDVD as well.

There isn't any "One-Click" solutions ever since DVDXCopy (321 Studios) was sued into the ground and had to be shut down -- thereby making it illegal to have an all-in-one. So, you have to use a separate ripper and encoder/burner.

actually thats false, DVDFab Platinum is a great all-in-one solution. it is not free, but as i stated before if you want free, they do have the free ripper DVDFab HD Decrypter.

djnes said:
So they both do roughly the same thing? I was just about to buy anyDVD as well

DVDFab HD Decrypter and AnyDVD basically are the same thing. They both can rip the DVD to your hard drive. But AnyDVD can also be used to enable you to just drag and drop the .vob files to your hard drive, or using nero or something similar burn straight to disc. Thats the great thing about AnyDVD. My take on it? If you want a program to enable you to burn straight to disc, get AnyDVD. If you want just a ripper(rip to hard drive), why not go with the free DVDFab HD Decrypter instead? Or, you want an all-in-one? DVDFab Platinum with work perfect for you.

Me personally, since I have a large Plasma and want the utmost in quality, I use the free DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip, then DVD Rebuilder to compress, and Imgburn to burn the .iso. There are still some little tricks that can enable you to still use the old DVDDecrypter on SOME newer titles. But overall DVDFab products IMO are what a person should be looking for in a quality program that regularly gets updated.

Isn't the problem Sony putting bad spots on DVDs to try to screw up recording software? Sony's use of the ARccOS copy protection system even kept some of their DVDs from playing on some of Sony's stand alone players.

My solution is just not to ever buy any Sony products. Problem solved.

Yes its Sony ARccos or whatever its called protection. Basically they somehow make unreadable corrupted data in the beginning of the movie, which outdated programs like dvdshrink and decrypter cannot read, even though standalone players "should." Ripit4me of course will bypass that. As will ANYDVD or Dvdfab.

What has happened with programs like ripit4me,decrypter, dvdshrink etc...is they have gotten "strong armed" by the government. They are forced to cease producing the software and updates. Which of course makes sense, seeing as how its "technically" illegal.

I wouldnt say Ripit4me is no more. It might not be updated anymore after last month, but.....its still the best. Ripit4me is what most experienced users use. It should be great combined with decrypter for a while. It does sony accros great. I havnt had any problems with it. DVDfab decrypter is decent I think. But there has been numerous posts on other forums about it doing some things "incorrectly". I remember many people complaining it was producing unplayable dvds in some instances. I id be careful using that. I used it a few times though and didnt have any problems. ANYDVD also does not deal with Sony Arccos protection completely correct either.....I can tell you that from looking at the IFO files. So any of you inexperienced people using Anydvd, it deals with Sony protection incorrectly. :) Id stick with ripit4me.

Ripit4me + fixvts + decrypter = WIN!

And of course for the people who dont know the difference, these are all "ripping" programs were talking about. They do not in any way "downsample" or author the dvd to fit on a 4.37gb blank dvd. For that, you will need something like Dvdshrink or clonedvd for the inexperienced users who want something easy, with "OK" quality. For the best quality, youll need to dive in and learn CCE(Cinema craft encoder). CCE far surpasses any of those 1click noob apps. :) Which of course is why its the standard in the "scene." But we wont get into that.

I wouldnt say Ripit4me is no more.

if its not updated any longer, its "no more"...lol.

It might not be updated anymore after last month, but.....its still the best. Ripit4me is what most experienced users use.

false, "most " experienced users use AnyDVD or DVDFab. Ripit4Me gained most of its user base after the Saw III problems.

It should be great combined with decrypter for a while. It does sony accros great. I havnt had any problems with it. DVDfab decrypter is decent I think. But there has been numerous posts on other forums about it doing some things "incorrectly". I remember many people complaining it was producing unplayable dvds in some instances. I id be careful using that. I used it a few times though and didnt have any problems. ANYDVD also does not deal with Sony Arccos protection completely correct either.....I can tell you that from looking at the IFO files. So any of you inexperienced people using Anydvd, it deals with Sony protection incorrectly. :) Id stick with ripit4me.

Ripit4me + fixvts + decrypter = WIN!

While Ripit4Me is very good, it still has its problems. 1. it uses an embeded FixVts which also isnt updated anylonger. Theres already problems showing up (The Queen) 2. It, like the others, doesnt handle Sony ARccOS properly. None of them can, cause the protection keeps advancing, which leads to .... 3. Updates. You cant ignore that it will no longer be updated. It MAY continue to work well, and it may not. Nevertheless protection will continue to advance leaving Ripit4Me users looking for something better.

And that something better is DVDFab products. The problems you stated with Fab products were fixed usually within hours. And most times you didnt need an update anyhow, just needed to run the files through FixVts. Keep watch of AnyDVD though. AnyDVD has used an embeded FixVts like Ripit4Me in the past, just an older version. But their newest version uses the code from CloneDVD2 for its ripper. It may turn out to handle Sony products alot better than other programs. Time will tell.

if its not updated any longer, its "no more"...lol.
Well, if there is not new encryption released, its a moot point. My point was, even though it will not be updated for the future, its still a great working app that will take out all current protections. Obviously when new protection schemes are released, outdated ripit4me may no longer work. I am only speaking about the present time. :)

false, "most " experienced users use AnyDVD or DVDFab. Ripit4Me gained most of its user base after the Saw III problems.
Keep in mind here, im referring to only dealing with Sony ARccos dvds here, normal dvds are obviously fine with Anydvd. Why would anyone use Anydvd for normal dvds though when decrypter is fine. :)

I dont know where you got that from but, you are mistaken. You are probably referring to most typical users who are usually less experienced than others. Yes, most average users do. Not the experienced who know better, and use CCE and such though. Any professionals who do CCE on a daily basis(usually involved with the "scene") should not be touching AnyDVD with Sony Arccos dvds. My point was, if you know DVD structure, which I do, you should know Anydvd does not handle everything related to sony arccos 100% correctly. With all that said, I could actually be somewhat outdated on this, since I do not have the latest version of AnyDVD so..... It is possible any issues were fixed.

I author dvds manually with CCE. No helping cce4u apps or anything like that. All I use is ifoedit, avisynth scripts with CCE and scenarist. I sorta know what im talking about. :) This is about the hardest, most technical and highest possible quality yielding method for "backing up" dvds. :)

I dont know where you got that from but, you are mistaken. You are probably referring to most typical users who are usually less experienced than others. Yes, most average users do. Not the experienced who know better, and use CCE and such though. Any professionals who do CCE on a daily basis(usually involved with the "scene") should not be touching AnyDVD with Sony Arccos dvds. My point was, if you know DVD structure, which I do, you should know Anydvd does not handle everything related to sony arccos 100% correctly. With all that said, I could actually be somewhat outdated on this, since I do not have the latest version of AnyDVD so..... It is possible any issues were fixed.

I author dvds manually with CCE. No helping cce4u apps or anything like that. All I use is ifoedit, avisynth scripts with CCE and scenarist. I sorta know what im talking about. :) This is about the hardest, most technical and highest possible quality yielding method for "backing up" dvds. :)

Lets agree to disagree...lol....no pissing match here. For the record i also use CCE SP2 manually from time to time, but for routine DVD's I use Rebuilder in combo. with CCE for simplicity purposes. Most likely we have the same arsenal...AviSynth 2.5, AutoQmatEnc,TMPGEnc, VOBBlanker, IFOEdit,PgcEdit..etc. Most of which ive learned over the years I no longer need because of the quality compression/output from CCE . I dont know what "scene" your refering to, but if you want to elaborate in PM ill be glad to chat and if need be introduce you to some experts who indeed use DVDFab and AnyDVD on recent Sony products.

Back