• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DVD burner not burning

mellojoe

Gawd
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
703
Any help?

It was working 3 days ago, burned a movie just fine. Now, I can't burn anything. It gives me an I/O error.

I tried updating the driver, but nothing. (now I have to reactive WinXP, great :( )

I need some tips as to why my DVD burner stopped. As you can see in my sig this is a custom build. Was working perfectly. Didn't make any changes between then and now. Made 6 coasters today. The same pack of new DVD-R's as I was using last week. I've successfully burned 5 DVD's and now I make 6 coasters in a row using 2 different burning software programs and 3 different target files. Tried a pair of .ISO's and then just some generic files.

I'm stuck and I'm frustrated and I don't know what to do.

Please give me a few ideas. Cheers.
 
Try burning on the slowest speed? Maybe for shits and giggles try to burn a CD, but my DVD burner also is finicky. For some reason I get way better luck with laptops.
 
I attempted to burn at 4x instead of the rated 16x that I have always used previously. Still got an error.

Here's a dump of the log file:

"********* Time stamp of this log file: 11/15/2010 10:48:27 PM *********
22:48:27 Processor info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz x 2 (3800MHz)
22:48:27 Physical memory available to Windows: 3,406,252 KB
22:48:27 Memory Buffer size: 512 MB
22:48:27 Image file loading: C:\TEMP Images\2010_DIMAGGIO.iso
22:48:27 DVD Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 1, Length: 1.30 GB / 682792
22:48:45 (G: ) LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S (2:1): Recording Method/Speed
22:48:45 Recording - DAO - 4.0X (5540 KB/Sec)
(G: ) LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S (2:1) - Media format: DVD-R
22:48:45 (G: ) LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S (2:1): BURN-Free activated
22:49:35 (G: ) LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S (2:1) - [Write ERROR] LBA: 1152, Length: 32
S:KEY - 04/08/03 - "Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (Ultra-DMA/32)"
22:49:35 (G: ) LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S (2:1): Recording failed!
22:49:35 Error message: [04/08/03] - Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (Ultra-DMA/32)
22:49:35 (G: ) LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S (2:1): Recording failed!
22:49:35 Image file loading aborted!
22:49:37 Something is wrong with the recording procedure! Please check the log file and report any errors to Technical Support."
 
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I suspect your burner has kicked the bucket. I've found the cheaper they've gotten, the more prone they now are to burn fine one moment, then seemingly not work at all the next. Seven years ago you'd just progressively get more coasters, but a half-dozen in a row sounds like it's toast.

FWIW - Still should work fine as a ROM.
 
My last few burners have been averaging like 2 or 3 years. Really bad. And brand names like Plextor, Samsung, etc. What do you expect for $20 though...
 
ODD's just aren't the quality they used to be. However, at about 10% of the former price, I can understand.
 
wow. Its funny, it does still work like a ROM.

Damn thing just won't burn. This is a (what I thought) solid brand name item, too. Lite-On.

And yeah, its been a bit over 2 years. Is that really all I should expect?
 
I have started experiencing the same thing with Windows 7. Reads fine just won't burn. (Lite-ons as well, 3 years old) I am now down to just a laptop for burning discs.
 
Contacted the manufacturer. They cannot help (won't replace the drive). I have completely un-installed it and deleted it from the device manager, re-installed, and still nothing.

It is gone.

I'm buying a new one. :(
 
Contacted the manufacturer. They cannot help (won't replace the drive).

For the price of shipping it back for an RMA you could buy a new one anyway.

Without doing an RMA, buy a new one, and for the same amount of cash have a new burner, and an old ROM? Sell the ROM for $5 if you like.
 
For the price of shipping it back for an RMA you could buy a new one anyway.

That's exactly what the rep said. He said, "we COULD replace it, and happy to do so, but the cost of returnning it to us and paying for shipping for a new one back to you is probably more than what you could purchase a brand new one in the store today".

Besides, the amount of time it would take them would probably be on the order of weeks, where as for $30 I can get a brand new one in hours.
 
God, I love NewEgg.

Purchased a drive late, late Wednesday night, and it arrived today. It is now installed and working perfectly.
 
Try updating the drives firmware before you toss it. I would also update the windows chipset drivers, it's a long shot but might save you some cash.
 
Back
Top