DVD burner disappearing on laptop

I have a sdw-821s dvd burner in my gateway and am having problems with it. Most of the time it will disappear without a trace from the my computer window and other places like device manager. Every now and then, usually right after booting, it appears and I can play a cd but then it disappears again and rebooting shows no signs of it anymore. I went into safe mode but it still is gone. I am pretty sure it is connected and works because things like knoppix and winxp cd that bootup at startup work fine. Must be some software error.

I uninstalled alcohol and disabled daemon tools but none of those do anything to fix it. I believe it not working in safe mode rules out a lot of driver conflicts and software? What could be the problem?

Edit: Every now and then when it does reappear it shows up as a generic cd/dvd drive, doesn't even have a model number or anything. And one more thing, there is only one IDE channel since it is a laptop. I am assuming my dvd burner is the slave and my hitachi drive is a master.

Here's an update. It seems all my aspi drivers have disappeared for some reason so I reinstalled them with the newest ones from adaptec. Now I can see my cd drive and the brand name and model. However, it stills disappears from time to time.

Check for a program called cdilla (or c dilla) on your machine. This little piece of anti-piracy software can cause issues like that.

Back