dvd and cd-rw?

Streamline

n00b
i currently just bought an asus dvd player and i already own their cd-rw when i connect it to the mobo w/ my dual ide round cable the mobo does not detect and cd drives at all?? whats going on? do i need 2 intall a driver or sumthing? im clueless. it shows up the dvd alone and the cd-rw alone but not together conected.

Sounds like you have both drives set as master.
pull out the drives, on the back where the connectors are, you should see a jumper with 3 settings, cable select/slave/master.
It is important that when 2 drives of any type share the same IDE cable that one be set as master, and the other as slave.
If you connect it as described and still do not get both drives, check your BIOS and make sure that your devices are listed in there, you may have a channel disabled.

Hopefully that helps you out :)

Just to add to the above...the dvd-re should be the master and the cdrw should be the slave if they are both on the same cable. you'll find where the jumpers belong on the sticker on the 2 devices if you don't already know that, and make sure they are attached to the cable in the proper positions, I usually don't recomend using the cable select option.

Back