• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

DVB-T tuners?

Spetsnaz Op

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 8, 2002
Messages
2,873
http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2006/05/21/Digital-TV-Tuner-Mini-Round-Up/p1

I recently read that roundup and decided I wanted one of these...similar tuners can be had for 30-45 bucks shipped..however I am not sure if these tuners are compatible with our HD broadcasts here. I would like one of these so I could watch broadcast HDTV on my laptop at college (especially with the new season of 24 and new entourage episodes....lol) Does anyone know if they work here? Or do I really have to spend 150 on a fusionhdtv type deal?

edit: I did some more research and discovered that most of the tuners here are ATSC...I take it these standards are incompatible :(
 
I believe he means on this side of the atlantic in north america.

OP there are a couple of large threads over at the avs forums where they discuss these usb dvb-t sticks. Yes, many of them do work "here" BUT they are not created equal so be careful of which one you buy.
 
Short answer: No, DVB is not used here in North America.
hmmph, maybe i'm confusing terminology or standards here.

I was referring to the usb hdtv tuners such as the ones linked in that AVS forum thread (Artec T14A, etc).
 
well thanks for the tip - the reason I was wondering is because DVB-T tuners can be had for very cheap - try searching for DVB-T on froogle

here is one that i was thinking about getting that I am still unsure about:

http://www.wegotdeals.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=12430&RefID=F
Ya, def do not buy blindly without researching first since quality/features/compatility varies quite a bit. Still not 100% sure on what the differences are between dvb-t and regular hdtv usb devices are (will find out soon enough).

Check out that avs thread i linked above to get an idea on what USB hdtv devices work well in north america, if you're still interested that is...
 
hmmph, maybe i'm confusing terminology or standards here.

I was referring to the usb hdtv tuners such as the ones linked in that AVS forum thread (Artec T14A, etc).
In the US we use ATSC, you can use a DVB tuner here but all you'll pull in are some weird public access type shows from down south... South America that is.
 
In the US we use ATSC, you can use a DVB tuner here but all you'll pull in are some weird public access type shows from down south... South America that is.

I'd like to see the antenna you use to pull those in ;)
 
Back
Top