Dust!!!!!!

jonathonball

[H]ard|Gawd
I like my computer, not top of the line, but not a bad rig. However, I'm having some supreme dust issues as the sides of my case have machined holes covering about 60% of their surface area in a centered square. Looks pretty, gets plenty of air, runs nice and cool, but please someone help me with the dust!!!

lol, yeah i'm having to blow the dust out about once a week, which sucks because i've got to drag my rig onto my balcony and back, i have filters on the intake fans, but since i've got the mesh (basically) sides to the case dust is still a problem, moving the computer to the top of my desk hasn't done much to help either... i've even tried vacuuming the room twice a week. do they make filters big enough to fit the side of my case?

mycase.gif

(pic of my case taken from manufactures web site)

You could make some... just go to a home depot and find something to place on the backside of the door. Im sure they sell some type of filtration devices.

Spent a fortune in compressed air, then I got smart. Now I dial 60 psi and blow the crap outta my case.

Lots of other uses. Don't know about your area but finding a place to inflate tires, FREE, is getting tougher. Now I don't worry about it.

calrg

Husky Easy Air. Around $100 at your local Home Depot.

You could possibly try Home Depot and get like a filter thats prolly the size of the side of your computer. The main use of the filter would be in duct work, but you can prop it up next to your computer or strap it on somehow. ;)

I would get a filter for AC duct and cut all the cardboard off then secure it to the side panel of the case. Just be careful not to let the fiberglass get all over the place.

Oh, man. I'm suddenly reminded of my case. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Codegen said:

wow THAT is dusty, i shudder to think what the inside of my case would look like if i didn't blow it out occasionally... and for an air compressor to be a viable option isn't there some kind of device you need to remove moisture from the air?

i'll head out to lowes tomorrow and we'll see what kind of filter i can dream up... (i feel kind of stupid not having thought of cutting up a larger filter)

I would think if you could get any type of porus thin foam it should filter and catch enough of the dust, plus you could probably wash it when it got dirty.

arcturus said:
Spent a fortune in compressed air, then I got smart. Now I dial 60 psi and blow the crap outta my case.

Lots of other uses. Don't know about your area but finding a place to inflate tires, FREE, is getting tougher. Now I don't worry about it.

calrg

AMEN. i hate compressed air cans.

If you have adiquate fan air flow, then why not block off the holes? It could potentially be messing up the case flow anyway.

there is nothing at all wrong with using an air compressor to clean your computer. However consider the following

if it is a home one, you need to open the drain valve at the bottom of the tank to check for water, drain it, and recharge the tank

if it is a work one, just make sure there is an air dryer hooked up

for either, spray the air on a white sheet of kraft paper or something and look for oil and water spots to check the air quality.

b0000w5efe02lzzzzzzz0as.jpg

Why blow dust around, when you can suck it up? I still don't see the point of using compressed air at all.

I'm surprised that nobody said dryer sheets. Give your room that fresh from the dryer smell and keep your rig dust free at the same time, lol.

I have a full blown compressor with tank and a nice LONG hose... just unroll the hose and your good to go anywhere :eek:

arcturus said:

calrg

Damn that's a nice setup for $100. I've got a compressed air tank that'll hold 125psi, but you're still stuck with having to refill it- and as you've stated it's getting hard to find a place with free air. In fact, it's getting hard to find a place with a WORKING airpump, or one that can do better than 30psi.....

I think I'll look into that for my PC....

I'm using dryer sheets, it's helping but a little bit of small dust still gets through.

When I dust my case I use a can of air, or my smoking lungs.
I use a hepa filter vacuum to suck up the airborne dust.

Also, the cheapest/best option is to use Pantyhose. Cut squares just bigger than your fans and either stretch and screw them in with the fan screws or tape along the outer perimeter. Dust no more.

The AC/Heater duct filters work the best IMO. I've been using them for years, and they filter out 95% of the dust or so.

I replace the filter ever 4-6 months and give the computer a quick blow out, and I'm good to go again.

That reminds me, it's about time to do that, and I just look in the computer to see how bad it was. The filter is definately full, but the inside of the computer barely has any dust at all.

heavy dusting is caused by too much dust buildup in your ductwork of the heating/cooling system. and its basically blowing out of the vents and into the rooms. i only know this because i used to work for an air duct cleaning buisness and i saw some nasty ductwork. there are tons of companies that do this service but make sure they dont stick a roto-rooter in there and clean it that way. the correct way is to hook up a massive vacuum with a 12 inch wide hose to the main ductwork near the furnace. and go to each vent and blow air back towards the furnace with a air compressor. very minimal dust will be pushed back into any of the rooms. it will be sucked out and youll be done with it.

the only way to truly solve your problem

bruenor said:
Also, the cheapest/best option is to use Pantyhose. Cut squares just bigger than your fans and either stretch and screw them in with the fan screws or tape along the outer perimeter. Dust no more.

Actually... just cut off a leg of the panty hose and roll up the edges to look like a pantyhose condom. Stretch the condom over your fans (the ring around the edge should provide more than enough pressure to keep it on).

heh, lots of spare panty hose laying around?

not a bad suggestion. wish someone would have mentioned it before i dropped $35 on bolt-on filters. Their cleanable, so hopefully I'll get my moneys worth.

and as for using an air compressor, i'm just too likely to screw it up and end up spraying a nice shot of built up water and gunk right into my rig. I like to use canned air and an old paintbrush on the fans and then shop vac the dust out of the bottom of the case, I get about 4 cleanings out of a single can.

Back