Dust Bunnies

So my ESXi box for firewall + fileserver etc sits on the floor in my kids room.
Recently it had taken to overheating when we would use Plex, so I stopped using Plex on it.
And then yesterday it took to just overheating all the time, making an incessant beeping noise.
Time to clean it out. Ugh.

Let's go!
4SeWn8T.jpg

OH GOD
It was so thick that it just peeled off.
I'm scared to see inside this thing now.

gWar9lY.jpg

Actually that was a lot better than I figured. You can barely see how on the CPU fan, it's just completely caked over, but beyond that there's not a lot of caked on stuff, just a heavy dusting of dust bunnies.

Outside, I brushed everything off and washed/dried the filter.
Inside, I peeled off the dirt on the CPU and sprayed the rest out, it's GTG now!
No clean pics though.

I should have upgraded it to ESXi 6 while I was thinking about it. Oh well, maybe this weekend!

-DustingCrash

Stick that thing up on a shelf or something. The dust problem will be much less if you do that.

Stick that thing up on a shelf or something. The dust problem will be much less if you do that.

No shelves to use. i may hack a wall mount together with some 2X4s and paint it black.
As I've discovered, things like this have to be tough or the boys' next rendition of an epic Beyblades / Power Rangers / TMNT / w/e fight will make for an upset papa. :)

Back