Durable Gaming Headset

burnin8r

[H]ard|Gawd
like the subject line says, I am looking for a gaming headset that won't self destruct. I am willing to spend money on Sennheiser PC-350s if you tell me they are going to last more than one year. My last two headsets (Skullcandy Gaming Ti and Steelseries 5H) both snapped in the same place, where the ear cup adjustment meets the headband. Metal construction in that area seems like it would make sense. The PC-350s look like they have a joint there which would probably prevent them from snapping, any other suggestions ?

I have the Sennheiser PC135 that I've owned for 5 years or so. they still work great and haven't broke but the foam deteriorated and I used some from another pair of headphones.
I use mine daily for an hour or more each time.

I just bought the Logitech G35 headset since they were on sale, paid $52 shipped for them from Logitech, hopefully they get here this week so I can try them out.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. I use G35, PC350 and the Beyerdynamic MMX 300.

The MMX's come with a 5-year warranty so you're pretty much protected for the probable useful life of the headset. It also has an exceptionally good mic (for a consumer set - these are no Blue) if you care about that sort of thing. The underlying headset is based on the DT 770 Premium so is pretty indestructible, as well as an audio character that's very suitable for gaming. However some find the 300 bucks hard to swallow.

I'm kind of lukewarm on the PC350 as although it is more comfy than the G35, it's pretty much blown away by the bang-for-the-buck of the Logitech. The Logitech doesn't do positionally accurate 3D sound, but the feature really does add an atmospheric dimension to newer properly multichannel aware games. Stereo sound is respectable, it has cool features and is built pretty well. It also has a real degree of acoustic isolation that the Senheiser kind of lacks, as the speaker chamber is completely sealed at the back, and yet doesn't suffer too heinously from closed phone reverberations. I haven't been all that kind to my pair and it still looks OK - and in my experience, Logitech RMA support is excellent should something be wrong on your headset that you didn't cause.

However getting back to the PC350, it is well built. Both G35 and PC350 are well screwed together with the Sennheiser feeling less substantial than the G35, but that is offset by better choice of materials for the long term on the PC350 - quality resin where it's appropriate, and metal pins on the earcup swivel mount instead of (strong) plastic on the G35. OK, so the PC350 is designed to be folded so they designed the joint to put up with a little more stress. However I'm not convinced that the Sennheiser-typical diffuse sound is actually all that great for gaming - I think the G35's audio is a better fit, the PC350 just sounds too polite for gaming. The PC350 also offers relatively little isolation despite being closed, partly as the cups don't press down that hard - but this does make them more comfortable to wear long-term than the Logitechs.

Both G35 and PC350 have roughly the same mic pickup quality assuming you put the Senn on a half decent soundcard, but the G35 wins by the cool 'swing-to-mute' feature, which is genuinely useful.

Generally speaking my primary headset is the MMX 300, but I do tend to pick up the G35 more for pure gaming, and I do tend to use the PC 350 for long Skype sessions.

Back