Duplicate SSID issue

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I'm having an odd issue with my WAP54G (latest firmware). I have it mounted in a conference room, and only recently I've noticed our SSID is showing up on all devices twice...once with security, and once without. If you click on the one shoing security and enter the passkey, you connect without issue. If you click on the one without security, you are told that you are unable to connect.

The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to set up a new MacBook Pro for my graphic designer, and in her wireless setup, the SSID only shows once, without the option for security. I am using WPA2-Personal. Is that not compatible with Macs? Is there something better I should be using? Why would I see duplicate SSIDs, and is there a setting/way to change this? They dupes show on all devices, including our iPhones, except for this one MacBook Pro. Very strange.

so when you open View Available Wireless Networks in Windows, the SSID is displayed twice?

Yes, exactly...on all devices now except Apple ones...which only show one SSID, but without security. I even booted up a new Dell laptop that has never connected to our network, and it showed two of the same SSID, one with and one without security. The one with is displaying the proper MAC, and the one without security isn't.

that is just bizaar. I have never seen two identical SSIDs listed before.
Maybe unplug power from the WAP and see if the other SSID still shows up? Possibly a rogue AP? as doubtful as that is, you just never know sometimes...

I figured it out. I did a search for the second MAC address online and found it belonged to a SonicWall device...which is what we use as our router. I had the wireless disabled completely, including the antenna in the SonicWall's settings, but it was still active somehow. Once I changed the SSID to OLDSSID, everything went back to normal. I hid the OLDSSID by not broadcasting it, but it is still bizarre that it was still active, despite all options being disabled in the firmware. Strange.

Back