Dune Games in 2020

Northguard is way to simplistic for what I would want out of Dune.

Northguard is way to simplistic for what I would want out of Dune.

Have you played the board game? It's fantastic, and a gold mine for video game ideas. Hopefully these guys have.

Have you played the board game? It's fantastic, and a gold mine for video game ideas. Hopefully these guys have.
I don't disagree, however not interested if this is a northguard knock off. Any board game is going to be to simplistic for what I'd want.

Yeah looking at the screen shots this is going to be way to simple, fun if your playing around a table with friends, but not something I could sink any amount of time into as a 4X game. I played Northgard for 9 hours and got bored of it, the draw cards, spend cards, and roll dice style of game just doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Any board game is going to be to simplistic for what I'd want.

It's not your average board game. For example, if someone playing the Bene Gesserit faction predicts which faction wins and how, the winning faction automatically loses and the Bene Gesserit win instead.

It's not your average board game. For example, if someone playing the Bene Gesserit faction predicts which faction wins and how, the winning faction automatically loses and the Bene Gesserit win instead.

I understand, I've played the board game, I play plenty of board games, its still a board game and limited as such. No board game can get around the fact that people have to play it without additional processing power, and it translates to every single board game to video game conversion.

To put it into perspective, I have 1800 hours into Stellaris, 1500 into Europa, several thousand into the HOI series, Star Ruler 1&2, etc, and plenty of Mods usually starting with AI improvements. I like my 4x complex, and this won't be it, like I said, I walked from Northgard because I'm not looking for a board game 4x on computer, when I play those its in person with people.

What I'm saying is that between the books, movies, and previous games, including the board game now that it's been republished, there's a lot of content to draw on. They don't have to reuse the mechanics to get ideas from other systems.

The Herbert family has been very tight on releasing their IP to outside developers, and with good reason. Their hesitance seems to have paid off well so far, and it's not too much of an assumption to believe that they will continue to pick trustworthy partners.

What I'm saying is that between the books, movies, and previous games, including the board game now that it's been republished, there's a lot of content to draw on. They don't have to reuse the mechanics to get ideas from other systems.

The Herbert family has been very tight on releasing their IP to outside developers, and with good reason. Their hesitance seems to have paid off well so far, and it's not too much of an assumption to believe that they will continue to pick trustworthy partners.

All I am saying is from the screenshots, knowing both the board game and the PC version of Northgard, its going to be a very simplistic game or at the least not one I'll be interested in sadly, as I love the Duneverse.

4 races to pick on release, any interesting mechanics will be saved for a later date with DLC, mechanics that are ultimately just drawing from a card pile.

Northgard is well loved, they probably did pick well, just not for this veteran gamer.

Reactions: Axman
like this
David Lynch's Dune w/ cutscenes staring out into the dessert wind for 4 hours?
Villneuve's Dune is the better film, but Lynch's Dune is a rough gem, and I'll die on that hill. The 3-hr fan cut actually makes it a lot more cohesive.

I'm still excited for these games. Dune really lends itself to RTS and survival games (or even RPGs) unlike a lot of other IPs.

I still have the original manual of Dune II on the shelf. Its required to progress in the campaign.

Villneuve's Dune is the better film, but Lynch's Dune is a rough gem, and I'll die on that hill. The 3-hr fan cut actually makes it a lot more cohesive.

I'm still excited for these games. Dune really lends itself to RTS and survival games (or even RPGs) unlike a lot of other IPs.

Fun Factoid: The Fading Suns RPG was originally designed to be a system for the Dune universe, but they could not get the license.

It's a little hard to find, but it is it's own system as well as setting. They did release a D20 system version of the rules though. Also, there is the computer 4X game using that setting, Emperor of the Fading Suns.

Back