Dumb U2711 connection question

WiL11o6

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
478
Planning on getting a u2711 and I read in the review comments on Amazon that you will need two DVI outs from your GPU to connect this monitor up. I'm going to pick up a new 7970 and I notice it only has one DVI out, one hdmi, and two display ports. What is the best way to connect this monitor up for best performance?
 
Not 100% sure, but I think using DP will allow you to output at native res. I think DP's max res is higher than DVI's or HDMI's.

May want someone to corroborate this.
 
You don't need two DVI's, you need a dual-link DVI port. The 7970 should run it perfectly fine over DVI or display port.
 
LOL! haha ok so when they say "dual-link dvi" thats a certain type of dvi cable. they dont actually mean to use two separate dvi cables. haha i have not seen anyone make that mistake before but i can see how you could think that. you can get a dual-link dvi cable for a couple bucks. i use one to run my 2560x1600 30" monitor and your monitor should only be 2560x1440. i believe single-link dvi can do up to 1920x1200. heres a picture of the different types of dvi connectors. either a dvi-i or dvi-d dual link cable should work i think. i use a dvi-d dual link. you can get some really nice hefty ones from monoprice.com for cheap.

215b66d1_all-DVI-types.jpeg
 
DP or Dual-Link DVI will work. The U2711 comes with both cables, and the 7970 will support both as well.
 
Thanks for the explanation, I had no idea there are different types of DVI cables. Should I use DVI or DP for best image quality, latency performance or they both are exactly the same? If they are the same, I would probably use DP since it's a slimmer cable.
 
they will both have the same quality since they are both digital signals.
 
Back
Top