Dumb ram question

masher

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
1,155
I've been out of the loop on DDR2, but an E6700 Duo is calling me back. What speed ram do I need to buy if I'm not interested in OC'ing, and just want synchronous operation with the CPU? Would buying faster ram allow me to drop timings and cut latency, same as with DDR?
 
The current boards support up to PC6400/DDR800 so if you are not going to OC, no need for faster than that. Look for CAS Latency C3 or C4 parts.
 
Right, if he's running synch it's 533. However, I am not seeing many CAS3 parts at 533. A PC6400 CAS3 or CAS4 part is a much better screen of IC so he should get a bit better performance.
 
Thanks for the replies, but I'm still a bit confused. Is anything above DDR2-533 only useful for OCing? Or can I buy something like DDR2-800, run it at 533 speeds, but with tighter timings?
 
Default 1:1 speed would be DDR2-533.
But C2D mobos will also have options for DDR2-667 (4:5) or DDR2-800 (2:3) & up.

So there are benefits of getting faster RAM even if not OCing.
 
Back
Top