• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dumb questions from a noob

peacetilence

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
2,343
These might be a dumb questions, apologies in advace. I've done alot of research these past few days looking at cases and WC setups

The PC is a
170 Opteron
7800GTX 512
EVGA SLI N4 mb (this will possibly change when funds are available)
1x2 gigs Corsair Value ram (this will probably change as well)
3 HD's (will probably add one or two more in the future)
1 sound card
1 TV tuner
Cooler Master Praetorian case (80mm fan version, it's crammed as it is)

My plans for WC setup are

AquaXtreme White Water Limited Edition Universal CPU Water Block - 1/2"
2 x 120mm Scythe DFS122512L Case Fan (60.09 CFM/27.92 dBA) for the radiator
HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme II Radiator
Danger Den Laing D5 Inline 12vDC Pump
Swiftech MCRES525 "BAY RES" Reservoir (Fits 5 1/4" drive bay)
MCT-40 Non-Conductive Solution
Danger Den NV-78 GPU block for 7800GTX 512

(anything I should change here?)

I'd like to make this as simple as possible without any mods or fabing on the case since I lack the tools and have no experience with that sort of thing.

The two cases I'm looking at are:

Gibabye 3d aurora:
I'm not too hot on this case since it's mid tower and I don't really like the look, the only thing that really appeals to me is that it supports the use of an external rad out the box. I think my components might cramp it too much as well.

CM Stacker:
More appealing to me, but wouldn't I have to mod the case for the radiator? If it was internal wouldn't I lose alot of the benefit of having WCing? How would I mount the 2x120mm radiator in it anyways?

I'd love to buy a lian li v2000 or silverstone case,they look much better than either of these two cases both from an aesthetic and technical standpoint but I just can't justify the added cost.

I appreciate any and all input. Apologies for all the dumb questions.
 
Why are you going with an outdated design in the AquaXtreme White Water? I would recommend either the MP-05 series or the DD TDX or MCW6000.

As far as case goes. I just got a V2000-B and hands down it's the best case I have gotten yet for setting up watercooling. Tons of room. I have a Silverstone TJ06 and that was excellent for my watercooling setup before, but the V2000-B beats it hands down. The cost is definitely justified, on top of the Lian-Li case being of top notch quality.
 
MadMikeSS said:
Why are you going with an outdated design in the AquaXtreme White Water? I would recommend either the MP-05 series or the DD TDX or MCW6000.

As far as case goes. I just got a V2000-B and hands down it's the best case I have gotten yet for setting up watercooling. Tons of room. I have a Silverstone TJ06 and that was excellent for my watercooling setup before, but the V2000-B beats it hands down. The cost is definitely justified, on top of the Lian-Li case being of top notch quality.


I'm not sure, the MP-05 version does look a heck of a lot better though.


how do you mount a dual 120mm radiator in the v2000? That case allows a BTX configuration right? I might just upgrade my case motherboard and memory for the time being and old off on the WC a bit longer.
 
peacetilence said:
how do you mount a dual 120mm radiator in the v2000? That case allows a BTX configuration right? I might just upgrade my case motherboard and memory for the time being and old off on the WC a bit longer.
doing this would give you better value.

if you DO decide to go for water:

switch the black ice xtreme 2 rad for a black ice pro 2 rad: cheaper and better performing with quiet fans.

not a whole lot of point in shelling out for the NV78: maze 4 GPU and some ramsinks are much cheaper and perform as well.

the white water was a great block, but showing it's age at this point. swiftech storm is best commercially available, if you can swing the price tag. the MP-05 series blocks are pretty good, but even more restrictive than the storm, which is hardly free-flowing. you've listed a good pump so you should be fine. other blocks to look out for are the swiftech MCW6002 on clearance, great block, or the apogee if all else fails.
 
peacetilence said:
how do you mount a dual 120mm radiator in the v2000? That case allows a BTX configuration right? I might just upgrade my case motherboard and memory for the time being and old off on the WC a bit longer.
mount it on the back, cut a hole in the top of the case and mount, somewhere in the psu.hdd area
 
peacetilence said:
That case allows a BTX configuration right?

Well, it's not truly BTX, but the motherboard is mounted upside down in a pseudo BTX style. But since you are going with an Opty, this case will suit it just fine. I have an Opty in mine.
 
Back
Top