DUMB Question On Vista Premier. Can I still run my windows XP programs?

OK, here's the question. Does Vista 64bit edition have a 32bit emulation mode where I can still install the following programs?

1. CAD program that works for Windows XP.
2. GPS program that works for Windows XP. (delorme)
3. Any other programs written for XP.

Can I still get the 64bit benefits and then just install all my 32bit programs into a 2nd "program files" location and then only run them after I first enter a "xp emulation mode".

Does Vista allow this? Or do I have to stick with XP to use my GPS or buy vmware. I think VMware might allow me to do what I want to do too.

You kind of answered your own question:)

Just run XP in VirtualPC2007.

Oh...and what the hell is "Vista Premier"? Or did you mean Home Premium...or Ultimate?

oops, I forgot about the FREE microsoft competitor to vmware.

So, I will assume that this is the best method to run both 64bit based Vista programs and 32bit "XP" programs at the same time or during same boot. Thanks.

The best method is: install the stuff under Vista and see if it works. If it doesn't work the first time, uninstall it and try installing it using Compatibility Mode (right-click on the installer .exe or .msi file and click Compatibility, set it for XP SP2 and proceed). If that doesn't work, try installing with the "Run as Administrator" option along with Compatibility Mode. If that doesn't work, then VirtualPC 2007 might be your best option.

Note that if any software requires 3D acceleration (the CAD program made me think you might require OpenGL support, maybe not), then you're out of luck with the VirtualPC methodology - it doesn't support any 3D functionality at all.

Hope this helps...

Back