Dumb question: Installing Zerotherm NV120

mackenson

n00b
Joined
May 20, 2007
Messages
2
I'm putting my new system together tomorrow and have a question about installing the NV120. In short, which direction should I point the fan? If it's an exhaust fan, then I imagine I'd want to point it to the top or back of the case ... if it's intake, then perhaps the opposite.

My case is a Cooler Master CM690 with default fans. Mobo is Abit ip35-e.
 
You've got it right. Blow air towards an exhaust fan... Or duct it so the exhaust fan draws air directly through the heat sink, if you're concerned with noise (but only if thermally acceptable).
 
Yup, set it to blow towards the exhaust fan to carry the warm air out. The NV120 is a good sink and should cool well.
 
This is how mine is setup:
100_0324.JPG.jpg
 
I have that heatsink, what sort of temperatures do you get with the Q6600?

I have idle/load at 32/46 celcius on stock with this heatsink and ambient temperatures are 21 celcius. 32 idle when ambient is 21 isn't a good sign, is it?
 
Ok .. but if I did change this for a TRUE or scythe, would I see a "significant" difference in temperatures at idle/load?

If it helps, here are my results with the temperatures. Reduce the load temperatures by 4-5 degrees celcius as the ones[both idle/load] in the spreadsheet were taken without opening up the drive bays. I need another 120mm fan in front, so I will be getting that later this week, so all load temps will be down by 5. Idle goes down by 1-2 with drive bays open.
 
Would the temperature scale linearly with ambient temps? For example, if it hit 35 in summer, what would my idle end up at approximately?
 
Back
Top