dumb question: do I need to install SP1 before I install SP2?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
okay, here's the deal.

a buddy of mine just gave me his old 1Ghz Dell laptop because he just bought a new one so I decided to whipe his old HDD clean with a fresh install of Windows XP Home edition.

the Dell laptop came with an XP Home edition CD for which I'm installing it as I type this. but I was wondering, do I need to install SP1 before I install SP2? if so, does anyone have a link or two as to where I can D/L SP1? I have SP2 on CD but I cannot seem to find a link to D/L SP1. I checked MS's site and I couldnt find any direct SP1 download links.

hopefully someone can help me out on this one because I'm certainly not use to working with something this old. :p

okay, so I dont need to install SP1 in order to install SP2?

gotcha. ;)

thanks for the help guys.

*on a side note*

this 1Ghz lappy is sooooooooo slow when you're use to running a 4Ghz desktop for so long. :p

oh well, I cant complain at all because the laptop was in fact free.

ozziegn said:
okay, so I dont need to install SP1 in order to install SP2?
NOOB!!!!* Ha...kidding, kidding! :D

As I'm sure you do know already, even after installing SP2, run Windows Update because there have been a few updates since it's release.

*DISCLAIMER: I only said NOOB because you've been here forever and a day like me.

Service packs are indeed supposed to be inclusive of the former packs, but its also worth noting that some OEM companies recommend you install them in order.
I would say if its a home build, just do SP2. If its a brand buy, check with the maufaturer. I cannot find a requirement from Dell to do SP1 first, so go for it.

Back