Dumb 1080 Ti overclocking/boost question

grambo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I just bought a used Asus STRIX ROG 1080 Ti OC edition card (stock boost clocks = 1683/1708MHz in game/OC mode). I've been out of the loop on cards and can't remember how boost/power/thermal limits work with Nvidia. Previous card was a 970 I ran at stock.

Even though I have not touched the clocks in Afterburner/Precision, I can see from my Afterburner log that the GPU boosts to 1987MHz in games. Do these cards just go for max boost within the power/thermal limits? Or is it possible previous owner modded bios? Either way, it's stable so I'm not complaining, just curious.

Thanks

Each card will boost to what it is capable of within power and temp limits.
If the card isnt unstable there is nothing to prove or worry about.

1987 is already great, no need to mess with it. Just make sure the fan is running high enough and it will hold that clock no problem. If you look in afterburner, you will see the power and temp targets. As long as the card stays under the targets, you get max turbo.

The core/boost clock on a 1080ti will auto overclock.

The memory won’t auto overclock
On a 1080ti you should be able to overclock the memory pretty strongly. Try 500MHz to start in your stability testing.

Or download EVGA Precision X1 software and let its auto scan automatically overclock your card. Th process takes about 20 minutes automatically and gets you a reliable overclock that can only be bested with some pretty intense tweaking and testing.

Thanks everyone. For some reason I thought the cards would only overclock to the spec boost per GPU but I guess that is more of a minimum? I was just surprised to see the clocks so high as I am running it stock with no + offset on core or change to power/fan profiles. Very happy with it and give my ancient 3770K is bottle necking I am not looking for extreme OC on the GPU. When I build a new Ryan 3500 (or Ice Lake if that ever happens) rig in 6 months time I will push the card harder.

1987 is already great, no need to mess with it. Just make sure the fan is running high enough and it will hold that clock no problem. If you look in afterburner, you will see the power and temp targets. As long as the card stays under the targets, you get max turbo.

Thanks, the fan seems to max out around 50% which is still very quiet. I'll make sure it's not limited to 50% but I think my case cooling and ambient temps are good enough that it doesn't have to ramp any higher. GPU temp maxes at 70C typically 65-68C.

The core/boost clock on a 1080ti will auto overclock.

The memory won’t auto overclock
On a 1080ti you should be able to overclock the memory pretty strongly. Try 500MHz to start in your stability testing.

Or download EVGA Precision X1 software and let its auto scan automatically overclock your card. Th process takes about 20 minutes automatically and gets you a reliable overclock that can only be bested with some pretty intense tweaking and testing.

Good tip on X1 with the auto scan, I'll play around with that. Always preferred Afterburner's UI.

Thanks everyone. For some reason I thought the cards would only overclock to the spec boost per GPU but I guess that is more of a minimum? I was just surprised to see the clocks so high as I am running it stock with no + offset on core or change to power/fan profiles. Very happy with it and give my ancient 3770K is bottle necking I am not looking for extreme OC on the GPU. When I build a new Ryan 3500 (or Ice Lake if that ever happens) rig in 6 months time I will push the card harder.

Thanks, the fan seems to max out around 50% which is still very quiet. I'll make sure it's not limited to 50% but I think my case cooling and ambient temps are good enough that it doesn't have to ramp any higher. GPU temp maxes at 70C typically 65-68C.

Good tip on X1 with the auto scan, I'll play around with that. Always preferred Afterburner's UI.
Under 70C is excellent. If the temperature gets higher the fans will automatically go higher if they need to. TJMax on the 1080 Ti is 88C.

The newest version of Afterburner also has the auto scan ability, so you don't need to switch to Precision if you want to try it out. Just be aware that it won't change anything but the core frequency curve, so you want to set everything else before using it to get the most optimal outcome (memory speed, power target, etc.).

Back