Duke Nukem Forever complete!?

I don't believe anything George Broussard says, it would be nice if the information came from *anyone* other than him.

In valve language, that means Duke Nukem Forever concept is complete.

Meh. I forget where I watched it but I watched a documentary on 3Drealms life up until the final doors closed. The games like 60-70% done, but graphics it's a bit out of date around UT3 graphics. I suspect it'll be out late this year or next, but there's no reason to buy it unless Gearbox plans to rebuild it from the ground up. I suspect more likely it'll just be cleaned up and shoved out the door.

Yeah I reckon gearbox will simply get most of the current content, polish it up a bit and release, which probably means it will be fairly mediocre. Although I'd rather play a fairly medicore DNF than nothing at all.

I really hope so. However, people have been known to read a little too much into georges tweets in the past though so I'm not getting my hopes up until I see an official announcement

Meh. I forget where I watched it but I watched a documentary on 3Drealms life up until the final doors closed. The games like 60-70% done, but graphics it's a bit out of date around UT3 graphics. I suspect it'll be out late this year or next, but there's no reason to buy it unless Gearbox plans to rebuild it from the ground up. I suspect more likely it'll just be cleaned up and shoved out the door.

I personally don't care about graphics (that much), I just want a game. Something fun and good to play. Case in point: Portal. In terms of graphics it is no Crysis, but what game would you rather play?

but graphics it's a bit out of date around UT3 graphics. I suspect it'll be out late this year or next, but there's no reason to buy it unless Gearbox plans to rebuild it from the ground up. I suspect more likely it'll just be cleaned up and shoved out the door.
gameplay >
infinite.gif
and Duke is all about the gameplay.

That's been the entire problem with Duke Nukem Forever. It's been through a few different engines. 3D Realms couldn't keep the engine up to date and when they'd get close to finishing it, the engine would already be outdated. So they'd change engines, and the same thing would happen. There's gameplay previews of the engine you're talking about on YouTube, and a part of me wants to say yeah redo the engine, but the other part wants to say no and release it. I suspect alot of the problems is due to 3D Realms' size and general priorities. If it's in the proper hands at Gearbox they could redo the engine and release it in reasonable time, which would be nice.

The graphics might be outdated, but the gameplay might also be not very good.
And then people would say they should have waited and kept working on it until it was "good".

I suspect alot of the problems is due to 3D Realms' size and general priorities. If it's in the proper hands at Gearbox they could redo the engine and release it in reasonable time, which would be nice.

Each time you swap/redo engines, you make things harder on yourself. Getting stuff from one engine into another is hard enough and usually leaves you with a bit of a mess as you try to shoehorn good idea A into game engine B and have it work the same. Once you take that shoehorned idea and try to put it into a 3rd engine, its time to pound your head on a wall. Code that was originally designed for one engine and then completely reworked *twice* can be a train wreck to maintain and trouble shoot. Even with the right people, trying to redo an engine on a cobbled-together project can take months longer than planned as there is a high tendency to run into issues. There is a certain point in time when you need to focus on what you have then make a release.

If Gearbox is doing Duke, they need to get polish it up and get it out the door. The worst thing they could do is worry about taking a decade of 3D Realms work and trying to make massive changes to the game engine for the 4th time.

Last edited:
The graphics might be outdated, but the gameplay might also be not very good.
And then people would say they should have waited and kept working on it until it was "good".

Avatar 3-D was a project 13 years in the making. DNF's been in development even longer.

You think Avatar would have been a better film story-wise had Cameron worked on it a few more years?

Polish-up whatever's already complete, complete whatever's not, and release it...

Each time you swap/redo engines, you make things harder on yourself. Getting stuff from one engine into another is hard enough and usually leaves you with a bit of a mess are you try to shoehorn good idea A into game engine B and have it work the same. Once you take that shoehorned idea and try to put it into a 3rd engine, its time to pound your head on a wall. Code that was originally designed for one engine and then completely reworked *twice* can be a train wreck to maintain and trouble shoot. Even with the right people, trying to redo and engine on a cobbled together project can take months longer than planned as there is a high tendency to run into issues. There is a certain point in time when you need to focus on what you have then make a release.

If Gearbox is doing Duke, they need to get polish it up and get it out the door. The worst thing they could do is worry about taking a decade of 3D Realms work and trying to make massive changes to the game engine for the 4th time.

Agreed, the video footage we all saw looked really good to me, especially the part when he jumps on the aliens back and flips him off that was awesome! . It doesn't have to be very innovative to be a Duke Nukem game, kill aliens , watch strippers.

Someone needs to email Eli Hodapp. The DNF "what's happened" list likely needs to be updated.

Avatar 3-D was a project 13 years in the making. DNF's been in development even longer.

You think Avatar would have been a better film story-wise had Cameron worked on it a few more years?

Polish-up whatever's already complete, complete whatever's not, and release it...

Avatar would have been better if it was DNF.

Yeah I reckon gearbox will simply get most of the current content, polish it up a bit and release, which probably means it will be fairly mediocre. Although I'd rather play a fairly medicore DNF than nothing at all.

long as it doeswn't cost 60 dollars...

I personally don't care about graphics (that much), I just want a game. Something fun and good to play. Case in point: Portal. In terms of graphics it is no Crysis, but what game would you rather play?
I know I would rather play Crysis. Portal sucked.

amazing :) I hope they get a demo out the door before it launches. I can't wait to play this.

Back