Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour Announced

HardOCP News

[H] News
The countdown timer on the Duke Nukem website hit zero over the weekend and, as many predicted, a remastered version of classic Duke Nukem 3D has been announced. The 20th anniversary edition will include bonus content, new levels, new music and new "Duke talk." The game will be available on October 11th for the PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Duke Nukem 3D begs for a reimagining, similar to what Crowbar Collective is doing for Half Life with Black Mesa.

Anthing less is just a disgusting money grab.

so it's $20 -- which is about $10 more than I think it's worth I love me some classic duke nukem, but the only thing you are getting that's new is 8 new levels. meh.

So this is why Gearbox never bothered to actually release Duke 3D on GoG or Steam after they sued 3DRealms.

So that is absolutely and completely lame.

"Remastered" generally means that the graphics are redone. This is just a money grab.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was all excited until I realized that they didn't update much of anything.

Don't get me wrong, I had some of the greatest times DMing with my friends with Duke3D but nostalgia alone isn't enough to get my money these days.

Duke Nukem megaton edition wasn't a hit but they think updating the graphics will help? Maybe the real reason they stopped selling it was because they thought if they updated the graphics it will sell like hotcakes. It better have some seriously advanced system taxing graphics with physics and all kinds of effects and better AI to make it fucking awesome. If they rehash it with mediocre graphics they should just kill themselves.

Not trying to shitpost, but does anyone even care about this franchise any more? If was pretty dead already, but then they frankensteined that monstrosity that was "Forever" together and that seemed to be the stake through the heart.

I think ill give it a miss !! They are just making money from nostalgia !!

The graphics are actually significantly improved, you guys just don't remember how bad the original game looked.

Exhibit A:

I wouldn't pay a dime for this, but I didn't think the original was all that great in the first place.

wow i was thinking theyd use a modern engine and just redo it, but if thats not the case.... lol

I already have the megaton edition so this isn't very interesting to me. It didn't appear to have the expansions either. Underwhelming to say the least.

The graphics are actually significantly improved, you guys just don't remember how bad the original game looked.

Exhibit A:

I wouldn't pay a dime for this, but I didn't think the original was all that great in the first place.

Thats mostly because of 640x480 resolution and software rendering. Most of us who replay the game use a program like Eduke32 which allows to play the game in Windows and use higher resolutions, some shaders and so on. Similar stuff as Doom Legacy really. And in the end it looks exactly like what is in the announcement video. We would be paying just for few extra voice lines and few new levels. Screw that. As a rabid fan of 80-90s action movies I love Duke but not that much.

Thats mostly because of 640x480 resolution and software rendering. Most of us who replay the game use a program like Eduke32 which allows to play the game in Windows and use higher resolutions, some shaders and so on. Similar stuff as Doom Legacy really. And in the end it looks exactly like what is in the announcement video. We would be paying just for few extra voice lines and few new levels. Screw that. As a rabid fan of 80-90s action movies I love Duke but not that much.

If memory servers, I *think* the original DN supported up to 800x600, but I could be wrong. I agree fully with "We already have DN that looks this good, what the hell are they thinking?"

If memory servers, I *think* the original DN supported up to 800x600, but I could be wrong. I agree fully with "We already have DN that looks this good, what the hell are they thinking?"

IIRC you could edit the CFG files for even higher resolution actually. Thats ancient history though, I can't remember if that was the case. I do remember editing the amount of gibs to ridiculous levels (ROTT, eat your heart out) and finetuning the weapon damages to my liking though.

Back